Evaluating Incoming and Repair Bandwidth to Storage Ratio Demands?

Hi there, is there any ways to figure out or make an informed decision of the network’s demands for engress bandwidth verses other items that would be operating me as a loss?

Because I can get both incoming and outgoing bandwidth on shared data center 10Gbps connection at ridiculously cheap pricing that it might offset the storage costs (since storage is more than the payouts here but still competitively cheap). But I can’t understand how to “forecast” situations if this would reap me a profit, stays about the same or ends up me paying times over for a storage/outgoing bandwidth weighted market.

Thus if there no ways to “check this” at this, could I at least get the latest information on what operators seen themselves provided that bandwidth and throughput is not their bottleneck vs. storage?

Thanks you very much in advance!

Since the service is not run by robots you cannot predict the usage, It is used by real people and real people are unpredictable.
Only thing you can do is wait and see if your node fills up and you have hardware ready to go setup another node.

1 Like

Correct but in any given market you can leverage the existing trends to understand whether or not if the market is stabilizing, increasing in demands and/or supplies or what not.

Take a farmer for example, how does he know if he need to grow more corn? Invest in another 100 cattle barn? Or be growing beets instead the following growing season? He’s refers to the trends of the market doesn’t he?

1 Like

A farmer also takes risks, can a farmer predict how much rain there will be that year? Can a farmer predict hes going to get hit by a freak storm with large hail and destroys half of his crop. I think not theres always a risk.

True but that’s outside the scope of the discussion though. Cause at your rates my hosting provider could shut their doors within the next hour. Understanding current and recently past demands can get you on the way of evaluating risks in general.

As I mentioned I simply want to become aware of the network “climates” in order to evaluate whether or not if I wanna understand further if I should do this or not.

Well word of advice don’t go spending a bunch of money running many nodes thinking you will become rich, because you think you may or may not hit a jackpot. Running nodes takes time to make any profit you wont even make anything at least for a few months still your node matures.

There is no such a thing like a linear dependency on provided space or bandwidth and actual usage (or as you call it “Ratio Demand”).
The Community has an average statistics though, thus you can use this Community Earnings estimator to get an idea:

But in general the renting a VPS is not a wise idea. As you already know, the space and bandwidth are used by real people, thus no predictable income or usage. But you should pay for the server every month.
In the first 9 months your node will receive not a big amount of money for the service.
If your datacenter have other nodes in the same /24 subnet of public IPs, they will be treated as a one node, so profitability will be very questionable.

Absolutely that’s understand able, Thanks for that kind reminder. Not gonna provision something like 10TB or something like that of course.

Theres no problem with using your own hardware, But paying for a datacenter to host your node will be expensive. Less you can get a really good price on it, But you still wont make any profit right away.

I actually can on the bandwidth and throughput as mentioned, it’s the storage that could make or break this though if insufficent egress/repair bandwidth is requested per TB of storage demanded.

Bandwidth speed isn’t really a problem, I have a 10gig line and I may use around 100Mbit with my nodes and im running 6 nodes with 2 subnets. My nodes have all the bandwidth they could ever need I think I seen around 200mbit peaks but thats about it. Running a 10gig for nodes has no benefits. You have to remember theres over 9000 nodes running and they all work together to get data and send data.

4 Likes

Interesting thanks for sharing this with me, thankfully the shared 10Gbps uplink is included in the rates but if I find a good deal on a dedi or something with a huge disk configuration or something that might be more profitable over time even if it on say a 1Gbps uplink.

Keep in mind datacenters other people have the same idea so you may be sharing a subnet with other nodes. Check out http://storjnet.info/, it also has good info for neighborhood nodes.

3 Likes

Thanks once again! Well look like I gotta obtain a IPv4 to check what’s going on that /24 so I might be able to get more stats on such as you mentioned.

sorry if it off topic but this type off question like why I don’t get data how much data will I get and all this was it a idea too make af post explaining this sticky on top ?