External IP Address vs Portmap.io Hostname

Hi,
I am just getting started and have a question related to how multiple nodes under the same IP address are grouped.

Are nodes grouped by the IP address seen when they announce to the network, or by the external IP address/hostname given in the ADDRESS docker container environment variable?

not sure what you mean by that. Announced in your local network in your router? This one would be irrelevant.

Announced to the storj network is the same as the external IP given in the docker command.

Hello @storaje,
Welcome to the forum!

I can only to add that at the moment we do not use a reputation in the node selection process (except vetting nodes) - the node is randomly selected from the /24 subnet of public IPs.

Thank you @kevink and @Alexey for your answers but I don’t think I was clear enough with my question.

When my storagenode is behind carrier grade NAT, my internet traffic comes from a public IP that I can find from visiting https://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/open-ports/. If I am using portmap.io, I will provide the storage node with the portmap.io hostname, but that will resolve to a different IP address than my other outgoing internet traffic.

So my initial announcement to the storj network will come from my external IP address which then provides the network with my portmap.io hostname to use for incoming traffic.

So my question is, when the network is choosing a random /24 to select a node, does the network use the portmap.io hostname/IP address I provided, or my external IP address where my outgoing traffic appears to be coming from.

(I’d like to note that since portmap.io is not a VPN, no new outgoing connections will be made through it, only replies to connections came in through portmap.io.)

1 Like

ah ok. the satellite will always contact you over the ip adress given in the docker run command. it won’t use your CNAT ip because then it would be unable to contact you. Therefore if the satellite used your CNAT ip, you wouldn’t get any uploads/downloads at all.

Anyone using portmap.io is at a deep disadvantage because they’re grouped together with all the other nodes using it because it looks like all of portmap.io servers are on the same /24 subnet.

This is rightfully so, however, the nodes may be physically separate but portmap.io is the single point of failure for all those nodes.

You’re correct. I took a look at the satellite and storagenode source code on github. The only address that ever is used is the address provided to the docker container.

2 Likes