Extremely high payout for April ;-)

Since there is a “Extremely low payout for April” thread here, I thought I open an “Extremely high payout for April” :slight_smile:

I was expecting ~$32 for April, but got ~$51. Was there some surge payout of 1.5x?

This how I achieved it. I have 5 nodes running on the same Linux server on a normal 80/20 residential fibre connection, so you don’t really need Gigabit up and down for a storagenode. The oldest node runs since 2019-04 (full payout) and the second oldest since 2019-08 (75% payout). The other 3 are small nodes and make only a few $ yet. Altogether they stored 3.64PB*h or on average 5.06TB, egress was ~1.5TB and repair egress ~200GB. Unpaid ingress was ~4.2TB.

The server is very low maintenance. Watchtower does it’s job on every update so far for all nodes without a single problem. The only problem I needed to look into was 99% I/O with “orders.db locked” error messages on my oldest and biggest node, which I seemed to have solved by defragmenting it. Now I defragment all databases daily with a cron job.

It’s not important to have as many nodes as I have, if you have one storagenode with a bigger hard disk you can get the same results as all my nodes are treated like a single big node.

7 Likes

im new to storj.

what is watchtower?
what is defragmenting?

I can’t say yet, I still have incoming transactions (last transaction 10 minutes ago)

Yes. This time I will not tell you the exact value. Instead lets just wait until it is available on the storage node payment dashboard. You can get the surge pricing with the stroage node API. First we have to write back the data into the database.

My understanding is that this will be the expected behavoir going forward. During the month the dashboard will show the values without surge pricing and once we finished the payment run we will display the values including surge pricing.

6 Likes

It’s a docker container witch updates the storagenodes when there is an update available. If you use the Windows-GUI you don’t need to worry about it as it comes with its own update service.

https://www.google.com/search?q=what+is+defragmenting%3F

1 Like

Transactions still coming in and while not as high so far as previous months per transaction, the previous 3-4 months were fairly decent for payments. Overall can’t really complain, things are progressing development wise and for utilization as well but it’s just going to take time. Time for nodes to get past the held back escrow phase, time for more data to come into the network. My oldest node just passed the 1 year mark a few weeks ago and it’s my most lucrative, but it took time to get there. People need to temper their expectations.

2 Likes

Eth gas fees are sky high right now… I wonder how that’s affecting the overall cost to Storj for this round of payouts.

1 Like

̶W̶e̶l̶l̶,̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶ ̶m̶y̶ ̶p̶a̶r̶t̶,̶ ̶i̶t̶s̶ ̶a̶c̶t̶u̶a̶l̶l̶y̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶l̶o̶w̶e̶s̶t̶ ̶p̶a̶y̶o̶u̶t̶ ̶I̶ ̶g̶e̶t̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶m̶y̶ ̶d̶i̶s̶k̶s̶ ̶w̶e̶r̶e̶ ̶a̶l̶m̶o̶s̶t̶ ̶f̶u̶l̶l̶ ̶(̶2̶x̶ ̶8̶t̶b̶)̶ ̶w̶i̶t̶h̶ ̶t̶w̶o̶ ̶V̶D̶S̶L̶ ̶c̶o̶n̶n̶e̶c̶t̶i̶o̶n̶s̶,̶ ̶s̶o̶ ̶m̶a̶y̶b̶e̶ ̶I̶ ̶w̶a̶s̶ ̶n̶o̶t̶ ̶a̶s̶ ̶l̶u̶c̶k̶y̶ ̶a̶s̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶ ̶o̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶d̶o̶w̶n̶l̶o̶a̶d̶s̶.̶ ̶I̶ ̶l̶i̶v̶e̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶B̶e̶l̶g̶i̶u̶m̶,̶ ̶s̶o̶ ̶E̶u̶r̶o̶p̶e̶,̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶I̶ ̶d̶o̶n̶’̶t̶ ̶s̶e̶e̶ ̶a̶ ̶s̶u̶r̶g̶e̶ ̶p̶a̶y̶o̶u̶t̶.̶ :confused:

̶T̶h̶e̶ ̶p̶r̶e̶v̶i̶o̶u̶s̶ ̶a̶d̶d̶r̶e̶s̶s̶ ̶p̶a̶y̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶m̶e̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶m̶o̶s̶t̶ ̶w̶a̶s̶ ̶a̶l̶w̶a̶y̶s̶ ̶o̶v̶e̶r̶ ̶1̶0̶0̶ ̶(̶1̶7̶7̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶p̶r̶e̶v̶i̶o̶u̶s̶)̶.̶ ̶T̶h̶i̶s̶ ̶m̶o̶n̶t̶h̶,̶ ̶i̶t̶s̶ ̶o̶n̶l̶y̶ ̶3̶0̶.̶ ̶A̶l̶s̶o̶,̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶ ̶s̶o̶m̶e̶ ̶r̶e̶a̶s̶o̶n̶s̶,̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶A̶p̶r̶i̶l̶ ̶m̶o̶n̶t̶h̶ ̶e̶s̶t̶i̶m̶a̶t̶o̶r̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶d̶a̶s̶h̶b̶o̶a̶r̶d̶ ̶s̶h̶o̶w̶s̶ ̶0̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶b̶o̶t̶h̶ ̶(̶b̶u̶t̶ ̶o̶n̶l̶y̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶ ̶A̶p̶r̶i̶l̶)̶,̶ ̶b̶u̶t̶ ̶I̶ ̶g̶u̶e̶s̶s̶ ̶i̶t̶s̶ ̶a̶ ̶b̶u̶g̶,̶ ̶I̶ ̶d̶i̶d̶n̶’̶t̶ ̶b̶e̶e̶n̶ ̶s̶u̶s̶p̶e̶n̶d̶e̶d̶.̶ ̶T̶o̶t̶a̶l̶ ̶~̶1̶1̶8̶ ̶S̶T̶O̶R̶J̶,̶ ̶p̶r̶e̶v̶i̶o̶u̶s̶ ̶m̶o̶n̶t̶h̶:̶ ̶~̶3̶6̶5̶.̶ ̶B̶u̶t̶ ̶I̶ ̶t̶h̶i̶n̶k̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶v̶a̶l̶u̶e̶ ̶a̶l̶s̶o̶ ̶i̶n̶c̶r̶e̶a̶s̶e̶d̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶t̶o̶k̶e̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶i̶s̶ ̶m̶o̶n̶t̶h̶,̶ ̶s̶o̶ ̶m̶a̶y̶b̶e̶ ̶I̶’̶m̶ ̶w̶r̶o̶n̶g̶,̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶i̶t̶s̶ ̶a̶c̶t̶u̶a̶l̶l̶y̶ ̶q̶u̶i̶t̶e̶ ̶s̶i̶m̶i̶l̶a̶r̶.̶ ̶W̶e̶l̶l̶ ̶I̶ ̶c̶h̶e̶c̶k̶e̶d̶,̶ ̶i̶t̶s̶ ̶o̶n̶l̶y̶ ̶1̶ ̶c̶e̶n̶t̶ ̶m̶o̶r̶e̶ ̶b̶y̶ ̶t̶o̶k̶e̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶i̶s̶ ̶m̶o̶n̶t̶h̶,̶ ̶s̶o̶ ̶w̶e̶l̶l̶,̶ ̶I̶ ̶m̶i̶g̶h̶t̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶n̶o̶t̶ ̶l̶u̶c̶k̶y̶.̶.̶.̶ ̶ :pleading_face:

̶I̶’̶m̶ ̶q̶u̶i̶t̶e̶ ̶h̶a̶p̶p̶y̶ ̶I̶ ̶d̶o̶n̶’̶t̶ ̶r̶u̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶n̶o̶d̶e̶s̶ ̶o̶n̶l̶y̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶m̶o̶n̶e̶y̶ ̶a̶c̶t̶u̶a̶l̶l̶y̶.̶ ̶A̶n̶y̶w̶a̶y̶s̶,̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶o̶t̶h̶e̶r̶ ̶m̶o̶n̶t̶h̶s̶ ̶w̶e̶r̶e̶ ̶p̶r̶e̶t̶t̶y̶ ̶g̶o̶o̶d̶ ̶w̶i̶t̶h̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶s̶u̶r̶g̶e̶ ̶p̶a̶y̶o̶u̶t̶s̶ ̶a̶s̶ ̶w̶e̶l̶l̶.̶ ̶F̶i̶n̶g̶e̶r̶s̶ ̶c̶r̶o̶s̶s̶e̶d̶.̶ ̶ :crossed_fingers:

And then, the last payout came cheering and its now finally 293, so that’s cool! :smiley:

1 Like

Can’t complain either I have gotten more then I expected this month.

I liked when you mentioned your nodes are low on maintenance thanks to watchtower.

Just want to give our Windows users a heads up: my 3 Windows nodes haven’t had a problem except for that one time the storagenode service didn’t come come back online after an auto-update.

So keep your nodes running, guys, and see storj more as an interesting and fun project to participate in and less as a pure dollar printing machine :muscle:

3 Likes

Yes, the project is beautiful, and I’ll need also to buy new drives for my own data, so I’ll add potentially two nodes, but I’m waiting a bit to see what happens after the test wiping. But I’m worried my first one is now like almost inactive, but, at least, some downloads and mostly repair put & get, which is also a good thing.

But yes, I’m mostly there also for contributing to our decentralized internet I wish for the future in videos and streaming communities. Because, even if I use it because “its popular” and because you “can’t exist in the streaming without them” (which is dangerous), I just hate Twitch (Amazon, their website is a horrible horrible ergonomy design and everything is made to push you to use Prime and sub, and class the streamers by high audience, not for quality content or evaluation of the viewers, and they limit the most of their features to their partners (and I never understood why you have to “highlight” your videos to avoid to be removed, where Youtube is archiving everything, except to save their precious datacenter storages (but i don’t care, i relay my stream on each platform thanks to restream, so my VODs are archived on Youtube and watched by players (and some friends) from our community most of the time), and they reserve the right to remove your VODs if you’re not partners, so yeah, that’s cool), even for simple things like making a “team”, so I have actually a team in my little community, but we’ll never be able to do that because we’re running for 0-10 viewers. I hate this system, and I still prefer donations), I like Youtube and Google services but its just dangerous how this company own too many services and too many humans life ressources (youtubers & marketers) depend of them. When you’re blacklisted, wathever you’re creator or webmaster/marketer; you lose everything forever (because yes, a few months ago for example, I put -contextual- paid links, and Google is just abusing of their monopole saying “oh we don’t like competitors/websites trying to make profits we can’t take, so we ban you”… but on the other side, the search engine is flooded by sh**y fake contents (including scams) everytime I search for legit informations, but they are still there, where my website was a true little community with true content, so I lost the revenues and the referencing in one shot), then you’re just doomed for life (a few chances they restore your account after filling their formular) and because its Google, its like if you weren’t no more existing on internet. So yes, decentralized engine and decentralized internet is necessary to live without them and give more freedom and credits to the creators and providers (by remunerating them like Storj does, but at high scale for any services). When people are banned from both services, its often their own lifes ruined because they were streamer or youtuber full time. Even when you go in jail, the justice can let you a chance to be free again, but it just doesn’t exist most of the time on Youtube/Twitch… oh except if you’re a big partner, of course (so you’re a too nice wallet for them to be banned). Ban/remove the service/content, yes sure (like the suspended/disqualified nodes of Storj, its not especially because the node is bad that they assume that “you’re bad”), ban the human itself for life sometimes for one video on 1000 or for “copyrighted content”, because centralized personal info linked, you’re owned by them under their control, I can’t accept that. Google & Amazon need to go (at least, de-monster them)! The people need to govern internet, not big corporations. That’s also the reason why I joined a few years ago an english company named “Majestic” making SEO for their consumers, where the operators were the “crawlers” to index their search engine, with a partial decentralization. And it has been a success for them. I wish the same for Storj. Storj just starded, they will embrace our internet of tomorrow, and I wish stay aboard when it will happen distributively. :rocket:

It just means that you reputation while in Alfa and beta counts. For the rest of us who had to wait 6 months until we was invited will be screwed

On video posting services…

Maybe check out Dtube

On getting paid for possibly demonetized content on youtube…

Maybe check out Brave Creator Accounts

1 Like

Yes, true, that’s great that services begin to appear, but I mean, its absolutely not the popularity of Youtube/Twitch. I mean, I’m hoping for decentralized services as important than them to be a real competitor against them and get at least 50% on the market.

Thanks for the links, I knew a bit Dtube but not the other one. Actually, I’m not trying to generate money from my stream/videos, I’m streaming for our community and for archiving our races sessions, and do some fun clips eventually. But I just signed up, it looks cool, thanks !

A warning on withdrawing BAT from Brave Creators…

It requires registration with British Crypto exchange Uphold which also includes a KYC requirement. So, Brave Creators may not be a good fit for persons or organizations who may have a philosophical problem with KYC.

However, I’ve had no issues whatsoever with either the verification process or the exchange itself. Uphold has pretty much donated the transfer and withdraw fees for BAT… meaning you can withdraw all your BAT earnings, as BAT, to your personal wallet address for no fees at all… not even the Ethereum Tx fee.

So, if one is not concerned with KYC, Brave Creators and Uphold are a really great crypto payment system… especially if there’s already an audience.

1 Like