Extremely low payout for April

what exchange are US residents sno using to for token exchange if I may ask here

How long has your node been running? Is it even vetted on all satellites? I just started a second node last month and payout was about $0.20…the first few months, the payouts are pretty darn low. There were a few months that had some surge (bonus) multipliers applied, as incentives for SNOs, but ultimately Storj is looking for long term SNOs, and the holdback structure is designed to make sure people are joining to be in it for the long haul.

And brightsilence is right, if you can be patient and stick with it, payouts get much better. My original node, which has been running since Aug 2019 has already received about $200 in payouts, with another ~$150 held back that half will be paid out in another 5 months…

It looks like there was a 250% surge payout in March, and not in April. Hence the difference and the seemingly “low” payout this month. Example from my node (first started March 2nd):

March:

HELD TOTAL       EARNED         HELD         PAID
    TOTAL      0.00 USD    3.9337 USD   2.9503 USD   0.9834 USD
    SURGE (250%)           9.8343 USD   7.3757 USD   2.4586 USD

April:

HELD TOTAL          EARNED           HELD         PAID
TOTAL      7.38 USD      5.1161 USD     3.8371 USD   1.2790 USD

The amounts are “low”, but I’m confident it will get better over time. Because of lowering held percentage and eventual escrow release, but also by pure storage dynamics.

If I understand storj correctly, when a file is uploaded, my node gets 1 of 80 pieces scattered over the network. When the client downloads his file, my odds of earning egress trafic are 29/80 (uplink needs 29 pieces to rebuild the original file).
As nodes go offline, less of those pieces will be available. For example if @masta and @direktorn have the same file and leave the network without a graceful exit, only 78 of the pieces will still be available, and my odds of getting egress will be 29/78. As more nodes go offline, my odds will get even better and I will get more egress, hence more money (until there are less than 35 pieces available and the satellite decides to repair the file).

Conclusion 1 : Despite the low payout this month, I’m staying on the network
Conclusion 2 : if you guys are leaving, well… thank you, it will increase my future income ! :wink: :grin:

5 Likes

Your income will increase more. This month i will shut down 8 (vps) nodes. Graceful exits are running.

How many TBs altogether?

The other thing to keep in mind is did you have all that data the entire month or did you end the month with that? You’re paid per GBh, so if you got most of that data near the end of the month then you won’t be paid for the amount you ended the month with for the entire month. One of my nodes ended the month with about 2PBh despite ending the month with close to 5TB of data, which if stored for an entire month would be 3.6PBh.

1 Like

You get 1 payment per node per satellite. If you have 1 node you’ll get 6 payments, 2 nodes 12 payments, etc. Assuming that you’re storing data for all satellites by the end of the month.

1 Like

So, I have 3 nodes and I counted 5 Minutes ago 20 payments?! Each sat 2x

Round 10 TB.

20 characters…

Surge payout info is only reported back to the nodes after payouts have concluded. So hold on to that thought for a little longer. A little birdie told me there might still be a surge payout for April, though likely smaller than March.

au vue de me premier paiement reçu, j’ai un paiement x1,5

Ok. My Payouts since 1.1.2020 till now for 5 Nodes with a total of actualy 17.3TB now is exactly 4523.77912731 Storj. And from the last month there is 1 Satelite not payed. I think this is realy good. :yum: :yum:

1 Like

Screen Shot 2020-05-09 at 3.58.53 AM !

I can only post one image, so here is the data for February and March:
February:
Download 5.9TB $117.94
Repair & audit 9.65MB $0
Disk Average month 622.46TBm $1.28
TOTAL PAID $59.61

March:
Download 213.57GB $4.22
Repair & Audit 3.47MB $0
DIsk Average Month 798.76TBm $1.64

I thought it’s better to reply than start a new thread. I am also disappointed by the payments recently. Can someone explain me the sudden drop in payout compared to January and even February?

I thought I had the payment system figured out, but I think I don’t fully understand it. It’s not worth keeping a PC on 24/7 for 2-3 dollars. I was really happy in the first two months of the year, thinking I can soon reinvest the money in a second node…

Egress customer bandwidth is payed at $20/TB, egress repair bandwidth at $10/TB, and data stored is paid at $1.5/TB/month. January and February saw a lot of downloaded/egress data across the network, likely as validation for production performance metrics. There is no guarantee that egress bandwidth will be consistent. In addition to that, surge payout bonuses were a lot more generous earlier on in the year.

The payment system is pretty straightforward but that is why payouts have been lower recently relative to months of heavy egress.

How did you get $118.21 for 455.1 TBm when I got only $54.76 for double that disk avg…

Probably ran graceful exit.

Something isn’t right with that disk avg month calculation.

It seems like SNOs have gotten used to the constant flow of test data through the network and the recently applied surge payouts. Storj needs to think about how to handle that. It does not make sense to keep SNOs on board artificially who will leave anyway as soon as the payout drops.

Your entire statement is unfortunately too true and I think will cost them a bit of their SNO base to reign things back to reality. I don’t know of a good sustainable trade-off here to keep these fair weather SNOs on board who have not done the math based on actually revenues without surge payouts and lots of test traffic. Overall though I think this is just a bandaid that needs to be ripped off. There are a sufficient number of SNOs in this for the long haul who aren’t in this for short term gains. These types of SNOs wouldn’t stick around long term if the going got tough for a while anyway.

2 Likes

My node with 7.3 Tb disk and 5.3 used had less than 3 (about 10 are held) dollars adding up all 6 satellites for April, I will wait another month or 2 and then I turn everything off. I knew that you didn’t get rich and I’m doing it mainly out of passion, but here you don’t even pay electricity.