Extremely low payout for April

My revenue covers electricity and some of my internet cost and I run more gear than most here. But it took a year to get to that point. It really only starts making good sense once your node is later into or past the escrow phase, and that’s the test that they’re applying to SNOs. This is a long term platform that values those committing to it.

Keep this in mind though. You have 5TB now but I bet you didn’t have that much for most of April. Look at how many TBh you got payed for in April and how much you’re storing now. Based on my nodes, they’ve all surpassed April’s total TBh stored at this point in May and we’re only a quarter the way through the month. Assuming that the amount stored stays the same, even if they drop a surge bonus, you should still take home more next month than April. But if that’s too much risk then I don’t know how else to put it.

2 Likes

Thank you, then I am in Italy and things are different. However I will hold on, in the end I believe in this project.

Glad to hear it! My recommendation to any SNO is stick around until you’re out of the escrow period of 12 months then evaluate. I know that’s a long time but at that point it’ll be likely that you’re storing a good amount of data and then hopefully it’ll cover at the minimum electricity and some internet costs along with some hardware if things are going well.

2 Likes

This is just a bug in the new dashboard, because after 13 months in v3 it’s … a little bit …?

I got my expected 10$ for April. Sure it’s lower than March but not unexpected without surge. and it does cover my electricity for running 3 nodes on a single ryzen host, even if not by much. If I had a RPI setup I would do better but my host doesn’t only run for storj so that’s fine.
We also have to take into account that all nodes are still in 75% held back amount on the new testing satellite saltlake (which makes most of the money).
Also there is still quite some egress from Stefan-benten satellite which newer nodes won’t have and therefore get quite lower payments. Although I did GE on stefan-benten on 2 of my nodes it almost generated half of my revenue… so it is significant.

All this crying and anger after every payout, like SNOs don’t even check their node during the month… Because you can already see how much you will get paid. But no, some SNOs get extremely mad after being paid although the payment is not a surprise, unless STORJ grants a surge payout. Can be quite enterntaining at times :smiley: Not that I do not understand everyone tries to cover his costs.

3 Likes

For the month of April the surge factor is 1.6x.

As many previous replies already have stated, the vision that many people have with their node is simply to short minded.
Many things are not being taken into account properly, such as:

• Withholding in the first 12 month’s on the satellites
  • the surge pricing that was done during the last months, that’s now slowly being tuned down
  • the expected amount of egress (everyone that planes with more than 15-20% is dreaming :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:)
  • egress traffic being equally high on all satellites (this is impossible with different customers on them, even if much of the traffic generated currently might come from Storj itself)
  • that new satellites have your Node in a different withholding stage than other satellites

Being a storagenode operator should not be a temporary idea, the network has steps in place to prevent those typical „mining“ flaws, when the times are „good“ many nodes come in for short period and leave the network as soon as it’s not as rose red. One of which again, many forget, is the withholding. Only looking at what has been paid onto your wallet within the first year does not make much sense. Of course, there is operation costs on the other hand, but you have to see it as an investment of some sorts. It really is intentional, that the node is not grows in payout over time.

All that said, the storagenode dashboard definitely needs further improvements (values are inconsistent and sometimes hard to understand) and we all know that the network is still in its early days of production, especially in terms of traffic.

I am grateful to see so many node operators being so honest about their expectations, that definitely is needed. But please also read our feedback and value it the same way, as we do value all of your feedback!

9 Likes

you had 17.3TB download In 4 months?

In my case it’s 5% and for that hosting a node is not profitable for me.

True. I have been on the network for 150 days. I run several open source projects free of charge, including a NTP server. Im not sure how many months or years its expected that SNOs are on “the network” until things start happening.

This is 100% related to where the customers are, or the customers customers. In my region the demand for Storj seems to be low. 100% of my traffic comes from Germany (hint) , but I would never get any egress as there are SNOs closer in Germany. I doubt even I would get any repair traffic if a German SNO decides to leave the network.

150 days means you are still in the middle phase of the withholding/escrow process.
5% of Traffic is not enough with the actual payout that you got or with the actual total amount (including the withheld amount)?

1 Like

Neither number is even close to reasonable. For one, the dashboard seems to display the TBh number, but with the TBm unit. Strangely enough it displays the right number for the current month.

Second, neither payout is anywhere close to reasonable for storage, since you’re only paid $1.50 per TB stored on average.

Since part of January was paid out in February, I’ve given up on trying to understand those months payouts. And since April isn’t entirely done yet (at least my node doesn’t have paystubs for April on stefan-benten yet) it’s probably best to compare March for now.

Definitely some weird stuff going on. All numbers are shown without surge applied, except for the held back amount, which is after surge. The total seems to be based on these mixed numbers as well.
The surge isn’t displayed at all on the dashboard, so no real way for SNOs to know why they got more.

The funny part… if you look at saltlake, the discrepancy between surge applied and not applied leads to a negative income.

What address can I send my tokens to?

1 Like

My node has just passed the 2 month mark yesterday, and thus far i’ve gotten 30-40 storj tokens paid and my dashboard claims i got 19$ withheld.

won’t cover my costs, but i didn’t expect it to in the beginning, also have about 6tb stored currently…
so it was pretty much where i expected to be at this point… looks like it soon should pass the point of covering the electricity.

even if that amount isn’t paid out… so there is that, but when the node gets old enough it will be…

i think it looks promising, long term… ofc that all depends on if storj manages to get enough customers.

I think it’s important to realize it’s a long term game. Storj does a lot of stuff to especially reward reliable long term nodes. Most of that is baked into how nodes develop over time. With April, this was exaggerated by downloading mostly months old data. If your node was new, you probably didn’t see any of that download. So yes, some payouts may have been lower than the months before. But that’s not at all the case for longer term reliable nodes. My payout will be over 70 USD this month. (I’d post a pic, but since one satellite hasn’t reported back paystub data yet, it’s missing some surge payout info. I have the payout though, so I know the amount already.)

All I can say is, stick with it. It will pay off in the long run. And yes, there may also be months that aren’t as great. But generally Storj labs has made sure SNOs are well compensated. Maybe even a little bit too well, setting too high expectations for future months.

4 Likes

For me is the payout now correct. Yesterday the total held amount was not updated.

This month it is showing correctly which is why I thought it was very odd and strange for the 2 screenshots I posted as it didn’t make sense or add up even.

:man_shrugging:

That’s because while the page looks the same, it uses completely different data for the current month. Current month is based on the nodes own data, just like what the earnings calculator uses. But previous months are displayed based on paystub data created by the satellites after payout. The earnings calculator uses the nodes own data for this as well, except for things like surge payouts, returns of held amount, total held amount calculation and payout notes etc. That way you can use it as kind of a verification of payout information.

I’m sure it’ll be fixed soon though.

No not 17.3 in 4 months. Some of this nodes are online since V3 started.