Failed to resolve IP from address: server misbehaving

I had to update DNS servers and A records for my home systems last night, and now my Storj node is offline / misconfigured. I have verified that most public DNS have the correct A record.
None of the IP’s are on my local subnet and appear to be remote private addresses. My node log shows:
2023-07-05T13:38:37.387Z ERROR contact:service ping satellite failed {“process”: “storagenode”, “Satellite ID”: “121RTSDpyNZVcEU84Ticf2L1ntiuUimbWgfATz21tuvgk3vzoA6”, “attempts”: 12, “error”: “ping satellite: check-in network: failed to resolve IP from address: home.woodsidelabs.com:28967, err: lookup home.woodsidelabs.com on 10.87.0.10:53: server misbehaving”, “errorVerbose”: “ping satellite: check-in network: failed to resolve IP from address: home.woodsidelabs.com:28967, err: lookup home.woodsidelabs.com on 10.87.0.10:53: server misbehaving\n\tstorj.io/storj/storagenode/contact.(*Service).pingSatelliteOnce:147\n\tstorj.io/storj/storagenode/contact.(*Service).pingSatellite:102\n\tstorj.io/storj/storagenode/contact.(*Chore).updateCycles.func1:87\n\tstorj.io/common/sync2.(*Cycle).Run:160\n\tstorj.io/common/sync2.(*Cycle).Start.func1:77\n\tgolang.org/x/sync/errgroup.(*Group).Go.func1:75”}

Never mind, it seems to have resolved itself as of 2023-07-05T14:12:37.108Z (or many thanks if someone fixed it!)

Hello @bryanherger,
Welcome to the forum!

Perhaps it resolved only temporary by your DDNS provider, but likely it could be repeated again.
The mentioned error is what DNS has returned while the satellite is tried to resolve your hostname.
Perhaps you need to change your DDNS provider to a more robust.

I’ll share in case it helps anyone else: It seems this could be expected because I switched everything at once. I changed ISPs, which resulted in a change of public IPv4, and at the same time, I did change DNS provider for my domain and added a new A record there. I didn’t change my hostname though, so I’m told the 8 hours outage I observed was expected for all these changes to propagate and update WHOIS and nameserver caches that were pointing to the old domain DNS and old IPv4 address for my hostname.

1 Like