Failed to set up a node. Dashboard won't load. Switched to different ISP/Wifi after initial set up

High everyone.

Tried to follow all steps in this gentleman’s video

when I click on the “storage node dashboard” app I get “problem loading page localhost:14002”

Here are my thoughts on where I might have gone wrong. I have two ISP’s in my house. one from xfinity and one from WOW! cable. I set everything up according to the video above using WOW!/Arris router and couldn’t get connected. I realized the Arris router is far way from my mining computer and realized it only downloads at about 5 mbps.

So I switched to xfinity with Deco router.

I then used the Deco app to turn on port forwarding with the following settings
service Type: DNS
External Port: 28967
Internal Port: (blank)
Protocol: TCP

Next, I made sure the IP addresses under port forwarding in the deco app matched what I get when running “ipconfig” under command prompt

After that I ran ps as admin and copy and pasted this New-NetFirewallRule -DisplayName “Storj v3” -Direction Inbound –Protocol TCP –LocalPort 28967 -Action allow

I restarted the computer a couple of times and still no luck.

I am running DUC v4.1.1 if that makes a difference.

Any help is much appreciated

Hello @RandallStevens ,
Welcome to the forum!

Please, post 20 last lines from the log: How do I check my logs? - Node Operator between two new lines with three backticks (like these ```)

I would like to post that but after time I do it says I cannot post anything with more than two links. Tried to upload it as a screen shot and I got an error message that there was an error uploading

2021-04-24T14:14:31.959-0400 ERROR Invalid configuration. {“error”: "invalid contact.external-address: split host-port “rrstorj.hopto.org” failed:

“error verbose” is mentioned too

that’s at least part of the last 20 lines. Does that help?

ping: unknown host rrstorj.hopto.org

Are you sure such a domain exists?

You specified your external address without port and also used a http:// before which is wrong.
Please, install Notepad++ and edit your contact.external-address: parameter (see https://docs.storj.io/node/resources/faq/where-can-i-find-a-config.yaml), it should have your external address and port via colon:

contact.external-address: rrstorj.hopto.org:28967

Explicitly save the config (menu File - Save, this is mandatory step) and restart the storagenode service either from the Services applet or from elevated PowerShell:

Restart-Service storagenode

Then check your logs again.

looks like we are getting there!

I did that and now I get the storage node dashboard BUT it says I’m offline.

this is the error code I’m getting now when I check the logs in powershell

2021-04-25T09:13:49.845-0400 ERROR contact:service ping satellite failed {“Satellite ID”: “121RTSDpyNZVcEU84Ticf2L1ntiuUimbWgfATz21tuvgk3vzoA6”, “attempts”: 6, “error”: “ping satellite error: failed to dial storage node (ID: 12q9SBbHrkRKDECe86XNTRq1YSt99f4RZqFXZZHsiYuUZpEWdy5) at address rrstorj.hopto.org:28967: rpc: tls peer certificate verification error: tlsopts error: peer ID did not match requested ID”, “errorVerbose”: "ping satellite error: failed to dial storage node (ID: 12q9SBbHrkRKDECe86XNTRq1YSt99f4RZqFXZZHsiYuUZpEWdy5) at address

I had to cut if off again because it contains more than 2 links

I’m being told I can’t post links to that address

does this amount of the log help

2021-04-25T09:13:49.845-0400 ERROR contact:service ping satellite failed {“Satellite ID”: “121RTSDpyNZVcEU84Ticf2L1ntiuUimbWgping satellite error: failed to dial storage node (ID: 12q9SBbHrkRKDECe86XNTRq1YSt99f4RZqFX

I’m able to see the dashboard now but it says I’m offline

You need to sign your identity: Identity - Node Operator

still says I’m offline

node ID & payout address are both blank on the node dashboard

Here is the error codes I’m getting now

2021-04-25T14:42:56.098-0400 ERROR Invalid configuration. {“error”: “invalid contact.external-address: lookup “rrstorj.hopto.org” failed: lookup rrstorj.hopto.org: no such host”, “errorVerbose”:

Also…

ERROR contact:service ping satellite failed {“Satellite ID”: “1wFTAgs9DP5RSnCqKV1eLf6N9wtk4EAtmN5DpSxcs8EjT69tGE”, “attempts”: 11, “error”: “ping satellite error: failed to dial storage node (ID: 12q9SBbHrkRKDECe86XNTRq1YSt99f4RZqFXZZHsiYuUZpEWdy5) at address rrstorj.hopto.org:28967: rpc: tls peer certificate verification error: tlsopts error: peer ID did not match requested ID”, “errorVerbose”: "ping satellite error: failed to dial storage node (ID: 12q9SBbHrkRKDECe86XNTRq1YSt99f4RZqFXZZHsiYuUZpEWdy5) at address

rrstorj.hopto.org 

it belongs to you?

ping rrstorj.hopto.org

shows your external IP address ???

OMG.

I double checked the address on “NoIP”

I spelled it wrong on NoIP.

On my no ip account I spelled it rrstroj.hopto.org

so where do I go from here to get it fixed?

Correct the DUC to correctly synchronize the domain name.
Where to fix in the node in windows - I won’t help, I don’t have windows …

See what @Alexey wrote above …

I think I got it.

it says I’m online at least!

I went back and edited the config file and then restarted!

thank you both for your help.

2 Likes