Failure setting up second node on the same LAN. Port Forwarding issue?

I can send you a screen shot if you think it will help but it won’t say anything that I didn’t already type up in my posts above

please send screanshot of port forwarding in router, for boath nodes.

1 Like

Telling from your screenshots, this looks right. You didn’t actually need to sign up for TP-Link DDNS service, you could have used No-IP still :smiley:

Is this PC always reachable via this IP?

@RandallStevens please do that.

It’s a bit of a long shot, but try choosing a service type such as “other” or something other than DNS. I am unfamiliar with TP Link routers, but perhaps by choosing DNS as the service type, it is interfering with proper forwarding of non-DNS traffic.

2 Likes

It would be interesting if he set it up this way for his working node as well.

1 Like

A “other” option was not offered by “custom” was. That did not work…

storjjimrig is the one that does not work:

1 Like

As far as the PC Always reachable via the IP, isn’t that what I just did with the ddns? I live in a suburb and have a cable modem. I don’t know if my ISP periodically changes my IP address or not. I can tell you I don’t pay any additional fees for a static IP address. I will begin checking it periodically for both PC and see if it changes.

This looks OK, on windows firewall did you opened Inbound connection tcp 28967?

1 Like

Can you try the steps below?

• Install wireshark on your sencond node
  • Filter on wireshark by tcp.port == 28967
  • Test the port 28970 from outside your network
  • Paste the results here :smiley:
1 Like

Again, your screenshots look correct.

No, the DDNS makes sure your router is accessible via the name “myddns.tplinkddns.net”.

Now you have to make sure that your PCs are accessible via the IP you specified in port forwarding - i.e. give them a static IP in Windows or reserve/bind an IP for them in your router. Otherwise, your toaster might get the IP ending in “118” tomorrow.

When on cable, your external IP will most likely not change daily, but it will change at some point. As said, this is not the problem here (granted your DDNS service is running).

Can you share a screenshot of your DDNS settings? Feel free to censor your username/external IP there :wink:

I have run this command in powershell as an administrator several times:

New-NetFirewallRule -DisplayName “Storj v3 TCP” -Direction Inbound –Protocol TCP –LocalPort 28967 -Action allow
New-NetFirewallRule -DisplayName “Storj v3 UDP” -Direction Inbound –Protocol UDP –LocalPort 28967 -Action allow

Does that mean I opened the inbound connection?

2 Likes

Not much to learn from the ddns I’m afraid…

Can you walk me through how to “give them a static IP in windows or reserve/bind an IP for them in your router”?

Also, @twl & @Vadim what do you think of @diogog suggestion? I’m a little nervous to try that (no offense diogog) as it looks like it involves downloading 3rd party software and a message popped up saying diogog has never posted before.

I understand, if your were using Linux I would ask you to use tcpdump port 28970, you can try the Microsoft tool for network packet capture Download Microsoft Network Monitor 3.4 (archive) from Official Microsoft Download Center

1 Like

can you chek it exist in interface, just type in menu Advanced Security
then find it under inbound, and check it opened to public connection.

That should do. But to be honest, everything you showed so far looked good and I don’t really see why it’s not working - especially since your other node is running.

By the way, did you create a new identity for the new node?

I’d recommend you re-download the .msi installer und re-install the node software. This will create a new config.yaml file with the values you enter at setup, maybe it’s just some weird setting that is broken…

Wireshark is a common network troubleshooting software. The steps @diogog described would help you figure out if your PC is acutally reachable from the outside - this would help rule any network problems and tell us that something different is not working as intended.

1 Like

Thank you very much for all of your help.

I reformatted my hard drive and reinstalled everything including a new identify.

That did the trick! I guess we will never know what caused the problem but at least it works now

Thank you again @Vadim @TheMightyGreek @diogog @TheMightyGreek @Bivvo

3 Likes