Fatal Error Every 24 Hours

Good Morning all,

I keep getting the following fatal error every 24hrs

FATAL Unrecoverable error {“error”: “piecestore monitor: error verifying writability of storage directory: open F:\write-test067637613: Access is denied.”, “errorVerbose”: “piecestore monitor: error verifying writability of storage directory: open F:\write-test067637613: Access is denied.\n\tstorj.io/storj/storagenode/monitor.(*Service).Run.func2.1:140\n\tstorj.io/common/sync2.(*Cycle).Run:152\n\tstorj.io/storj/storagenode/monitor.(*Service).Run.func2:137\n\tgolang.org/x/sync/errgroup.(*Group).Go.func1:57”}

Any idea how I stop it.

Hi @hacxx101,

It looks as though you’re running a Windows node and the StorJ service doesn’t have full access to the F: drive for writing. Check in services.msc which account is used to run the storagenode and that the same account has full permissions on F: drive.

the system has only one user account and this has full local admin control.

Did you check in services and see which account is being used? It’s most likely running as ‘system’ , ‘local system’ or ‘network service’. Then look at the ‘Security’ permissions on the F: drive from ‘This PC’.

1 Like

i have found that f:/ was using sys admin and that did not have full access so i have just made that change and will test over the next 24 hour period. but it is still off that it only happens once every 24 hours and a system restart bring the node back only and the error has cleared.

PS C:\Windows\system32> Get-Acl -Path F:\ | Format-Table -Wrap

Directory:

Path Owner Access

F:\ BUILTIN\Administrators NT AUTHORITY\Authenticated Users Allow FullControl
NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM Allow FullControl
BUILTIN\Administrators Allow FullControl
BUILTIN\Users Allow FullControl

PS C:\Windows\system32> Get-WmiObject -Class Win32_Service | Where-Object {$_.DisplayName -like ‘node’} | format-list name,startname

name : storagenode
startname : LocalSystem

name : storagenode-updater
startname : LocalSystem

here is that information

no I am still seeing the same issue. its odd because it does not happen all the time.

see in the schedule of tasks if any program is running at this time, e.g. from backup

You need to propagate an access to child folders and files recursively with replace for the SYSTEM.