Filewalker GC randomize

What do you think to make GC random over all network? Today it penalize entire storj network performance in the same day at the same hour. Make it random twice a week

1 Like

No it does not. Why do you think it does?

1 Like

GC is not starting twice a week on wed and sunday?

1 Like

GC scan thow all your files and files that not fit go to thrash, if you make it 2 time a week it will go thow all your files 2 time as week. it will not do it any better.

What I know is that GC start at wed and sunday at about the same time for every nodes. Most of SNOs have standard config (I bet a lot with external USB hdd) and GC can slow down entire node for hours (6/12). It would be usefull to make it start in a more distribuited way.

1 Like

According to the design document the garbage collection is managed by the satellite on a per-node basis, and is therefore staggered.

@agente meant to avoid all nodes getting all busy at the same time. But per my understanding this is already the case.

On the other hand, garbage collection just walks metadata, which is already cached in ram, so there is negligible impact on anything.

1 Like

The impact of the GC and FW greatly depends on the amount of RAM you have. I used to have 2GB and these chores crashed my NAS twice. Now I have 18GB and it goes a lot smoother. Today’s GC took 30 minutes, albeit with 100% IOPS usage.

I have several nodes and today GC started at about the same time.

Yes. SNO with a well tuned nodes don’t have problems or slow down, I’m just thinking macro for entire network

Yeah, I wonder if the fact that suddenly a large number of nodes have additional I/O load at the same time impacts time-to-first-byte or other customer-side metrics during that time.

The startup time for the GC depends on nodes start time, so if you restart your nodes not in the same time, they will do the work with this shift.

1 Like

Great. Didn’t know that. Heavier GC always on wed and sunday? based on start time of every single node. Can this job be distribuited even more over the week?

1 Like

I doubt that they are stick to that. But for your nodes - for sure.
So, I guess, you can distribute them