First time user, can't run the storjlabsSnContainer: "Error: system clock is out of sync: system clock is out of sync with all trusted satellites"

2021-03-14T16:39:05.415Z        INFO    preflight:localtime     start checking local system clock with trusted satellites' system clock.                                                                                                                                                         
2021-03-14T16:39:05.436Z        ERROR   preflight:localtime     unable to get satellite system time     {"Satellite ID": "12L9ZFwhzVpuEKMUNUqkaTLGzwY9G24tbiigLiXpmZWKwmcNDDs", "error": "rpc: dial tcp 35.205.38.124:7777: connect: connection refused", "errorVerbose": "rpc: dial tcp 35.205.3
8.124:7777: connect: connection refused\n\tstorj.io/common/rpc.TCPConnector.DialContextUnencrypted:106\n\tstorj.io/common/rpc.TCPConnector.DialContext:70\n\tstorj.io/common/rpc.Dialer.dialEncryptedConn:180\n\tstorj.io/common/rpc.Dialer.DialNodeURL.func1:101\n\tstorj.io/common/rpc/rpcpool.
(*Pool).Get:87\n\tstorj.io/common/rpc.Dialer.dialPool:146\n\tstorj.io/common/rpc.Dialer.DialNodeURL:100\n\tstorj.io/storj/storagenode/preflight.(*LocalTime).getSatelliteTime:110\n\tstorj.io/storj/storagenode/preflight.(*LocalTime).Check.func1:67\n\tgolang.org/x/sync/errgroup.(*Group).Go.f
unc1:57"}                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        
2021-03-14T16:39:05.616Z        ERROR   preflight:localtime     system clock is out of sync with satellite      {"Satellite ID": "12rfG3sh9NCWiX3ivPjq2HtdLmbqCrvHVEzJubnzFzosMuawymB", "error": "system clock is out of sync: clock off by 477.884334 minutes", "errorVerbose": "system clock is
 out of sync: clock off by 477.884334 minutes\n\tstorj.io/storj/storagenode/preflight.(*LocalTime).checkSatelliteTime:132\n\tstorj.io/storj/storagenode/preflight.(*LocalTime).Check.func1:74\n\tgolang.org/x/sync/errgroup.(*Group).Go.func1:57"}                                               
2021-03-14T16:39:05.796Z        ERROR   preflight:localtime     system clock is out of sync with satellite      {"Satellite ID": "12tRQrMTWUWwzwGh18i7Fqs67kmdhH9t6aToeiwbo5mfS2rUmo", "error": "system clock is out of sync: clock off by 477.881819 minutes", "errorVerbose": "system clock is 
out of sync: clock off by 477.881819 minutes\n\tstorj.io/storj/storagenode/preflight.(*LocalTime).checkSatelliteTime:132\n\tstorj.io/storj/storagenode/preflight.(*LocalTime).Check.func1:74\n\tgolang.org/x/sync/errgroup.(*Group).Go.func1:57"}                                                
2021-03-14T16:39:05.817Z        ERROR   preflight:localtime     system clock is out of sync with satellite      {"Satellite ID": "12EayRS2V1kEsWESU9QMRseFhdxYxKicsiFmxrsLZHeLUtdps3S", "error": "system clock is out of sync: clock off by 477.881519 minutes", "errorVerbose": "system clock is
 out of sync: clock off by 477.881519 minutes\n\tstorj.io/storj/storagenode/preflight.(*LocalTime).checkSatelliteTime:132\n\tstorj.io/storj/storagenode/preflight.(*LocalTime).Check.func1:74\n\tgolang.org/x/sync/errgroup.(*Group).Go.func1:57"}                                               
2021-03-14T16:39:05.947Z        ERROR   preflight:localtime     system clock is out of sync with satellite      {"Satellite ID": "1wFTAgs9DP5RSnCqKV1eLf6N9wtk4EAtmN5DpSxcs8EjT69tGE", "error": "system clock is out of sync: clock off by 477.879735 minutes", "errorVerbose": "system clock is 
out of sync: clock off by 477.879735 minutes\n\tstorj.io/storj/storagenode/preflight.(*LocalTime).checkSatelliteTime:132\n\tstorj.io/storj/storagenode/preflight.(*LocalTime).Check.func1:74\n\tgolang.org/x/sync/errgroup.(*Group).Go.func1:57"}                                                
2021-03-14T16:39:06.264Z        ERROR   preflight:localtime     system clock is out of sync with satellite      {"Satellite ID": "121RTSDpyNZVcEU84Ticf2L1ntiuUimbWgfATz21tuvgk3vzoA6", "error": "system clock is out of sync: clock off by 477.875319 minutes", "errorVerbose": "system clock is
 out of sync: clock off by 477.875319 minutes\n\tstorj.io/storj/storagenode/preflight.(*LocalTime).checkSatelliteTime:132\n\tstorj.io/storj/storagenode/preflight.(*LocalTime).Check.func1:74\n\tgolang.org/x/sync/errgroup.(*Group).Go.func1:57"}                                               
2021-03-14T16:39:06.264Z        ERROR   Failed preflight check. {"error": "system clock is out of sync: system clock is out of sync with all trusted satellites", "errorVerbose": "system clock is out of sync: system clock is out of sync with all trusted satellites\n\tstorj.io/storj/storage
node/preflight.(*LocalTime).Check:96\n\tstorj.io/storj/storagenode.(*Peer).Run:835\n\tmain.cmdRun:218\n\tstorj.io/private/process.cleanup.func1.4:363\n\tstorj.io/private/process.cleanup.func1:381\n\tgithub.com/spf13/cobra.(*Command).execute:842\n\tgithub.com/spf13/cobra.(*Command).Execute
C:950\n\tgithub.com/spf13/cobra.(*Command).Execute:887\n\tstorj.io/private/process.ExecWithCustomConfig:88\n\tstorj.io/private/process.ExecCustomDebug:70\n\tmain.main:385\n\truntime.main:204"}                                                                                                 
2021-03-14T16:39:07.457Z        INFO    Got a signal from the OS: "terminated"                                                                                                                                                                                                                   
Error: system clock is out of sync: system clock is out of sync with all trusted satellites                                           

Seems your identity is not signed. Please, take an authorization token: https://documentation.storj.io/before-you-begin/auth-token and sign your identity: https://documentation.storj.io/dependencies/identity
If you uses QNAP app, it’s able to sign it in its UI.

Then check your ADDRESS option, it should contain your external address (IP or DDNS hostname) and port.
Login to your router and search for WAN IP (it’s usually on the status page of your router) and compare it with IP there https://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/open-ports/ , they should match, otherwise port forwarding will not work.
You also can use this guide: https://documentation.storj.io/dependencies/port-forwarding

I created the identity on another computer than QNAP, as I was not on that part of the tutorial yet.
Sholud I recreate the identity via the QNAP app UI?

No, you can use this one, but need to sign it first. So, do it on the same PC and transfer to QNAP.
Or you can sign it on QNAP with QNAP app or use a separate identity binary.

It much easier to sign it on the same PC though and transfer to QNAP

This means it’s signed right?

[folaht@pjehrsohmehj Publik]$ grep -c BEGIN ca.cert
[folaht@pjehrsohmehj Publik]$ grep -c BEGIN identity.cert

I copied these files and four others to the NAS.

1 Like

yes. Just make sure that you transferred it to the QNAP.
The next step - check your external address and port forwarding.

Router

Port 28967 opened at ipv4/ipv6 TCP.

Storage node app Port forwarding

mydomain.tld:28967

mydomain.tld of course replaced by my actual domain which has been working for years.

[update]

Oh wait… I can’t use my server of course, that’s running on another computer.
No wait, I can. I’ll try ip instead first anyway.

[update]

New storage node app Port forwarding

my.ip.v4.address:28967

Still the same problem.

Please, check your port on https://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/open-ports/
Is it open?
The storagenode should be running.

They are all closed. 28967, 14002 and 7777, despite having forwarded all three of them on TCP.

You need to forward only 28967, all others should remain private.
Please, check WAN IP on your router and compare with IP on yougetsignal, they should match, otherwise port forwarding will not work.

I think this problem shows up again and again. Is it possible for the dev team to add some diagnostic message about unsigned identities, instead of this misleading message about system clock?

It’s also when the storagenode is not reachable from outside.
All correct errors are showed before, this one is consequence.

Yeah, sure. It’s just that it helps new users when along a consequence the error message also states possible causes.

No, I mean the underlaying error is printed before this message. The “clock out of sync” after all other checks.
In this case it’s a first entry, so the real issue is a clock out of sync.

I just wondered about your first message here, this one:

I just think that if there are two separate causes that might result in the same “clock out of sync” message (missing identity files and the clock being out of sync), then disambiguating them gets more difficult, as it was in this thread.

Do you know if your modem also has a built in firewall? I’ve seen this where I’ve had to configure both my modem and home router (this is most common when your ISP gives you a combined modem/router device).

I don’t think so. If it did, my other server would not be be working.
I did not have to configure a firewall on my router for that.

My NAS however is all new to me, so I don’t know if it has a firewall.

I ssh’d into my NAS server and did…

hwlcock --systohc

Then I removed the storjlabsSnContainer in Container station and restarted the Storj node.

2 Likes