FreeBSD as a way after the Windows and Linux

yeah that makes very little sense to me those commands / variables and program names hehe
but i’m only two months out of windows… so… reget that i didn’t switch sooner, but i’ve always had bad experiences with linux in the past and even with my fairly extensive work with computers i’m not sure i knew FreeBSD existed until recently, but i’ve mostly done consumer grade solutions… so really windows was the only way to go atleast until i kinda stopped doing that stuff anymore…

I’m fairly confident that i cannot avoid switching to FreeBSD, but with all the headache i’ve had with proxmox debian, then i’m not going to jump over just now… but ill most likely spin it up on a VM and go from there… get more comfy with it, and hope that it will be as good for hardware passthrough as debian proxmox has proven to be…
tried hyperV microsofts hypervisor… i tried so hard to passthough a freaking basic usb device… and yet after way to many hours wasted… i found it was damn near impossible…
then in proxmox… it was just basically a few clicks away… and just worked… lol
windows does has its own advantages, but its so restricting on my abilities…
one must appreciate just how much punishment windows can take tho…

the last while i’ve been working with my zfs raidz in proxmox… its all well and good… but the naming of the disks… OMFG its riddiculous, every damn application i seem to run, the disks have different names or identifiers… i think i found like 8-12 different names on one drive and rarely do two of them overlap so figuring out which disk is what and such is just PAINFUL… sure it’s most likely just because i don’t know what i’m doing… but maybe just a common name that one could use across different basic software would be nice… the /dev/sdX definition just won’t cut it when dealing with zfs pools…
so i named my proxmox server Voodoo… because thats what it feels like… i really think i will be so much better off in freeBSD… the whole userland insanity is real… HALP lol
but now i can almost survive in proxmox… / debian terminal mostly even tho they don’t recommend it… their webgui imo basically cannot do anything lol but its pretty and it helps me setup and monitor VM’s
so

happy you got that working… yeah i also used stout and sterr which was what the 2 &>1 thing at the end of cron job was… i think it’s also written in my reference notes, i figured with all the work i spent getting it all figured out i might as well note it so that others could see what was going on and modify it for their own usages.

didn’t expect this use case tho… but that’s the good thing about having good notation on the voodoo.

Fun fact, I’m running Proxmox for a lot of my Arch and FreeBSD VMs, I’ve only set up everything via the webgui and only run one SSD in ZFS for all guests. But I’m not doing anything fancy with Proxmox, just running it and one USB-device passed through for some smart home things to one VM.

If you like tinkering you will probably get some headaches with whatever OS you choose in the end, that’s been my experience. Been going through Windows servers and a handful of Linux distros over the years before landing with mostly Arch and FreeBSD.

I also run FreeNAS with a few iocage jails (storagenode is there) which has all my disks in it :slight_smile:

for now i just run one server with proxmox on it, which i got 12 bays in … so its reasonably filled with drives… but then comes the whole… routing the stuff to the docker thing… so yeah… baremetal solution lol, rookie move i know… but first install i was to lazy and 2nd install i was in a hurry to get my node back up and got stuck on trying to figure out how to import local storage to my vm.
seperate storage is the way to go… i know that now… but it’s LOCAL storage… how hard can it be to give it to the vm :smiley:
tried with samba / SMB which … well AGGGHHHHH!!! and then it didn’t work with the storagenode… so… lol that was a fail… did get it to work with my local streaming host vm tho… worked kinda great, but the user management … might have been able to run that through proxmox… but yeah rookie here… so was hell

just now i’ve been moving over a vm harddrive from my old proxmox server to the new one from my zfs pool…
and again i had to go look at vm.conf files and copy names in terminal and copy the hdd image to be sure it didn’t get ruined, because who knows… but seems to be working now…
i’m sure if one is using proxmox correctly like it was intended, with a semi right setup (seperate networked storage) or im just ignorant xD most likely the latter… lol
then it works great, seems solid… but i just feel i lack so many options… like disk management…
i get that it’s made to be a simply gui so that people cannot do anything crazy wrong… and thats all nice… but how about giving me an advanced user option somewhere and let me fly or crash this "rocket " ship like i feel like…

so yeah i’m getting very familiar with terminal in debian.
my current server is an oldie…
Tyan 7012S with dual x5630 meaning 16 threads at 2.5gbz on turbo i think… else 2.16ghz, 48gb ram configured for performance, dual (not mirrored MLC SSD SLOG) for latency reasons, and OS on 1 of the SLOG ssd, and 512GB SSD partition on the other SSD for the L2ARC on the other, going to atm 1 vdev with 5 drives in raidz1 and most likely adding my 4 additional drives in a second vdev to the pool tomorrow.

oh right running 2x HBA’s LSI 2308 i think they are called, which gives me 4kn support and up into and most likely beyond the 20tb range in per disk capacity.

So it’s a bit of a budget beast… lol if one can call it that… i mean i top out at 288GB RAM but seriously…
that stuff adds up and i’m not even sure what i would use all that ram for lol, maybe if i get a DAS hooked up which i made sure one of the HBA’s has an external 8088 port for…even tho i try to get the parts cheap it really quickly adds up… but i’m pretty sure i should be able to beat a lot of people with more expensive setups in just about everything aside from graphics… how far do one get with an 10 year old onboard server graphics card… and are there prizes for lowest scores?