Full access to a mega node!

Hello everyone, excited to start with StorJ!

I just happen to have access to a co-located server with 192TB (12x16TB) of storage 48GB DDR4 RAM and 2x Intel Xeon E5-2683 v4 2.1GHz 16 Core Processors… I’ve reformatted it to ubuntu and thought I would ask the community what their thoughts were on the best configuration for this? I think I can get up to 5 IPs, but I’m not sure that will help me here… Is this too big to use? Appreciate any/all ideas.

Way to big. With current utilization of the network you will never fill that up with Storj data. Which is really sad. :cry:

In the last 12 months, I received 2.8TB, so it will take a while to fill those drives.

Hi Nodemansland, welcome! As is often mention around the forum, to make returns on this project you need to be in it for the long term. You will make very little in the first year. So it is suggested you don’t use a dedicated machine for running nodes as your operating costs will most likely exceed your income. It is best (for profitability) to run on hardware that is already being used for something else.

If you are interesting in running the project long term, the way I would do it is to spin up as many nodes as you have public IPs and start them small with the ability to expand them later. Keep in mind that the public IPs need to be on different /24 subnets to actually make a difference as the network treats all nodes on the same subnet as one node for ingress purposes (example with 5 nodes on the same subnet will collectively receive the same amount of ingress traffic as 1 node). With a single IP, the main reason to run multiple nodes is if a HDD/node is full and you want to offer more space.

The advantage to starting several nodes now, even if you won’t be using all of the space, is that they will all be vetted and pass their holdback period at the same time, so in the future as the network gains clients and traffic increases, you could already have several nodes ready to go.

I believe it was calculated that the maximum practical size of a node (when the network was busy with test data) is around 40 TB. Near this threshold the deletes will outpace ingress and growth will stop. I think it was said that at current traffic levels that threshold is around 20 TB. Of course this is all based on historical trends, and what happens in the future could and likely will be different.

–edit-- Indicated /24 subnets as thoughtfully noted by @Pac below

4 Likes

@Nodemansland : @baker summed it up really well, but here is an estimator you can use to illustrate what they said with regards to the amount of data that can be stored, and how long it would take to fill it:

Small note here: We’re talking about /24 subnets.
And the estimator above does show results for one /24 subnet.
If your 5 IPs are scattered among different /24 subnets, then you may multiply estimations it gives you by 5.

2 Likes

Thanks for everyone’s reply it is much appreciated. Sounds like this setup will be restricted to 1 node since all the IPs are on the same subnet.

I’ll still start my node using 1 or 2 drives since I’m already paying the monthly fees and understand that it can take well over a year to even cover the operational cost or see any significant traffic. Hopefully in the coming years we’ll see a shift in storage to decentralization.

Hate to ask on here, but has anyone seen any other nodes that would be worth hosting? Trying to utilize this server as much as possible. Will be using this for the next 5 years.

1 Like

You can run 1 large node with this setup, while you use the hardware for something else.

you can make node, and all other space fill with chia plots on some other coin that use spase, as node will fill, then decrease amount of others.
I have 240 TB of spase and 85 filed with chia, 155 with storj

1 Like

155 with one big node?

no i have lot of nodes.