General beginner questions about the Node

Hi! I’ve been running a StorJ node for a short time and have a few questions about it. I hope I haven’t overlooked them here in the community… Maybe you guys can help me.

• When I restart my computer (Windows 10). Do I have to start the node manually or is it directly online?

• Can I move the Node to another computer or expand the storage space by adding another hard drive?

• What happens if I have the computer turned off for 2-3 days due to a move to another apartment. Am I then diequalified?

• What happens if a hard disk is defective? Can I then obtain the data again?

Greetings, David

Hi David,

Hopefully I can answer your questions here, as a Windows Node Operator myself.

When I restart my computer (Windows 10). Do I have to start the node manually or is it directly online?

If you have installed the node as a Windows service, you can set the service Startup type to be automatic. This will ensure that the node is online after a reboot. The documentation for this can be found in the Windows Installation Instructions document.

Can I move the Node to another computer or expand the storage space by adding another hard drive?

Yes and yes! We have some excellent documentation here on how to migrate your node. You can expand the storage space by either migrating the data to a new disk with more storage space, or spanning the existing drive to an additional disk. You will then be able to specify your new storage space by editing the node’s config.yaml located at "C:\Program Files\Storj\Storage Node\". The value to modify is storage.allocated-disk-space, and if you have changed the drive path you will need to change the value for storage.path.

What happens if I have the computer turned off for 2-3 days due to a move to another apartment. Am I then disqualified?

The disqualification criteria are outlined in this document here, and you can find more information regarding the audit system here.

What happens if a hard disk is defective? Can I then obtain the data again?

You could attempt to repair the drive itself, however if the node data is lost you would need to create a new node using a different authorization token.

Hopefully this reply answers your questions, and please see our FAQ for more details!

Cheers,
Josh

Hello @dsimon24cx ,
Welcome to the forum!

Please, never do that. With one disk failure the whole node is lost. Run two (3, 4, 5, …) nodes instead.
The RAID5 is not safe with todays disks too:

See also RAID vs No RAID choice

and a new identity: Identity - Node Operator
Do not copy the existing one - it will be disqualified in seconds!

2 Likes