Got Disqualified from saltlake

Thanks for this message, I really appreciate the switch in tone!

I think I can give some clarification on this part. @Alexey linked the containment blueprint in an earlier message, but that’s a lot to read. However, this is what it comes down to. If your node is unable to respond to an audit within 5 minutes, it isn’t immediately seen as a failed audit. Instead whenever the next audit happens for your node, it will request the same stripe again. This ensures you can’t use a timeout to get out of having to verify you still have that piece. You again get 5 minutes to respond. I believe you get a total of 3 retries, but I’m not entirely sure of that number. If you time out on all tries, then it will count as a single audit failure. From that point on audits will request a new stripe again. This wouldn’t cause a disqualification, just a single audit failure. You’d need quite a few more to actually be disqualified. Problem is that nodes with lots of data get quite frequent audits. So even if it takes 4 timed out audits to count as a single failure, you can still rack up those failures pretty fast.

I previously posted a suggestion to tune audit scoring here. Tuning audit scoring
I think this suggestion could be further tuned by raising the lambda value based on the amount of data stored. The more data you have, the more the memory of previous successful audits weighs into the formula. This would essentially remedy the inverse relation between long time loyal node and short time to disqualify. These nodes also have much more on the line, so messing with the system on such nodes is just a very bad idea to begin with. If you’re going to try and cheat the system you wouldn’t do that with a node with so much income. Just a suggestion, but I think this would help a lot with this problem without exposing the satellites to more risk.

4 Likes