Gracefull Exit Without Rewards

No i wouldn’t say not to run an AC in summer if it’s for yourself and not for running a storagenode at 21c to extend the life of a hard drive. Which temps aren’t tied directly to life of a hard drive less it’s exceeding 60c then it may shorten the life of a hard drive.
My costs for running a storagenode is close to 25 a year @0.11cents kwh so costs for me is not very much, I used to mine with my gpus which i had 3 3090s and 1 4090 and the cost of running those was pretty expensive compared to running a storagenode. Near 1200 watts of power compared to my rpi4 with 4 hard drives 40 watts That’s like running a 40 watt light bulb all year. So my costs doesn’t really effect me since I pay a lot more to deliver my power to my house then how much my power costs per month.

I wouldn’t allow It to go over 50 degrees Celsius and there are lots of checks showing how for every 5 degrees Celsius over optimal hdd temperature can lead to 2 years shorter life… Of course It might depend on your specific hdd model, where are you getting the 60 degrees Celsius Number from?

Im just going by the hard drive spec sheet.

Theres no info to prove that hard drives die because of just temps alone. If you go past the max temps then you might be killing the drive.

Over cooling a hard drive is utterly pointless, A good fan is Good enough

2 Likes

Main factors that affect harddrives and any electronics:

• workload;
  • temperature;
  • on/off cycles.
    … supposing the electric current is optimal, and stable, and no fizical damage is inflicted.
1 Like

A good fan is Good enough

in my opinion it is a bad advice for so many reasons, I already posted studies and hints, ASHRAE recommendations, for the reasons to keep hdd under 50 degrees celsius, I am not going to continue this discussion and develop the subject mainly because it is off topic here and would be of little use… good luck.

You posted something for datacenter guidelines not for home use. Datacenters have more then just hard drives that are cooled it’s not even the same thing. They have to have strict rules a home user does not need to cool hard drives with more then just fans. Hard drives without fans don’t even run at 50c I have 2 external hard drives both running at 40c for the last 5 years and there fine. Telling people there drives need to run at 21 to 27c is wrong advice.

1 Like

Telling people there drives need to run at 21 to 27c is wrong advice.

I agree it is wrong advice but I didn’t say that, the part to 21 to 27 degrees celsius is related to ambient temperature not hdd physical temperature…

Hard drives without fans don’t even run at 50c I have 2 external hard drives both running at 40c for the last 5 years and there fine.

where do you live and how hot does it get in summer? and did you run it 24/7 for the last 5 years with the workload of an active Storj node or similar?

The last 4 years have been storj so workload has been pretty heavy on them. Little bit of context. Im in canada and in summer it gets up to 30-45c. But I guess I have an advanage over other people since its in my basement I monitor the temps, But when I was mining with gpus and these hard drives were right next to High temp gpus for 2 and a half years straight inside a small room. There inside a server rack with a temp sensor that turns on exaust fans only when it reaches 25c+ Inside other then that no fans run on the hard drives themselfs. When its summer it gets around 21-25c in there with all my hardware.

Ive had more sdcards die on me then hard drives that I can tell you.

so you see, what I meant is that it depends for every person situation, where I want to put a new node without AC inside it gets really hot … about to 35-40 degrees… during july/august… without any equipment inside… in a small room… immagine if I add a computer with my 10 HDD I used for Chia…

for the part related to HDD temperature exceeding 50 degree celsius… or 60 as you said… as far as I know you could have failed SMART report, which does have a reason.

I guess without context we don’t know what the situation is, since yeah its is different for everyone. If you were to run hard drives in a 35-40c area im guessing outside in a shed or something, then add 10-20 degrees over the hard drive temps so 50c for a hard drive under full load and a few fans on it. You could probably manage to do with just fans and a fan to exhaust the heat.

Problem with hard drives you dont really know when or if its gonna fail. Ive had drives die with good cooling so it can go either way, And profits arent really there to test that theory anyways so I understand where your coming from cause hard drives are a pretty high costs depending on how much you spent… At this point I probably wouldnt go buy hardware to start running a storagenode right now.

But my rpi4 is with all that heat and it runs great @5watts of power.