Gracefull Exit Without Rewards

Hello,

I want to dismiss a node which is not producing me any profit, but instead it is a net loss.

I started it 1 month ago.

Can I do gracefull exit, without recovering the held amount?
What I want to achieve is exit in a way it will not penalize my account when I will start in future other nodes.

Thank you

You cant graceful exit with a 1 month old node, Just shut it down it. Anyways its not much of a loss for Storj with only 1 month running node that just got out of being vetted. Held amount here is a few cents its not even worth trying to get anything back.

1 Like

It also won’t impact any future nodes you might start. Nodes reputations are independent. So don’t worry about that.

2 Likes

Why is it a loss of 60$ a month?
Due hardware setup cost?

ok… thank you for the feedback.

operational costs…

Could you describe your setup? Curious…

1 Like

no, I won’t, sorry, anyway I have to close it, didn’t planned well when I started it.

Musta rented a dedicated server…

fun fact, in Italy with a home pc, 24/7, you spend 0.4 euro in the bill for each kwh… so it might be cheaper to rent a server indeed

Your numbers don’t add up. You’re saying that your PC draws 200W 24/7? My server with 10 hard disks uses 125W on average.

1 Like

maybe you are using ARM? a laptop uses between 50-100 wh, and each hard disk as far as I know is around 6-8watts… depending on the hdd… I dont see how your server if not ARM can consume as little as 125 watts with 10 hdd included… not to mention the fact that keeping it 24/7 turned on has a costs in terms of hardware usage/less lifespan + now summer is coming, you need to turn soon AC for it to mantain the temperature at 20-21 degrees celsius to not ruin the hdd…

plus that in Italy where I live no fiber, for a good internet connection for the node you need to use a 5g internet plan just for it …which you normally don’t need, as home connection is 10 mbps in download but for normal usage that is fine… I would challenge anyone with my conditions to keep a node active and do a profit…

anyway all these questions about my setup are quite off topic, the main issue here is: can you exit a node before 6 months without just simply turn it off and basically destroy all the hosted data in that node?

Ok, I just re-checked, it’s about 145W (3.5 kWh/day) after I added a few hard disks recently. And I’m not using an ARM processor. It’s a Ryzen 5 1600.

2 Likes

What are your hard disks made of, chocolate?

The answer is NO, you can’t

1 Like

we are talking about room temperature needed to preserve hard disk. It’s not me saying it there are studies about it, your sarcasm is quite surprising.

• A white paper from National Instruments found that “the condition that has the biggest impact on the life of a hard drive is temperature,” noting that a 9°F (5°C) increase could reduce a hard drive’s lifespan by two years.
  • A 2013 study from the University of Virginia found that in data centers, hard drive failure rates double for every 12°C increase in temperature past 40°C (104°F).
  • A 2007 study by Google came to the opposite conclusion: Hard drives in colder operating environments had a worse failure rate than hard drives in hot environments. Like the University of Virginia study, Google’s research focused on hard drives in data centers.
    source: Can Hot Summer Temperatures Damage Your Hard Drive? - Datarecovery.com

21°C is too low and too expensive in Europe. Doing this your carbon footprint will also be huge and that will come at a price later, unless you’ll mask it with a solar for example.
There are datacenter recommendations (ASHRAE for example) which say up to 27°C is okay. You can easily do 26° and even beyond with good airflow. Ideally buy drives with a 5 year warranty and get rid of them just before the end of it. If it will fail within and you won’t temperature trip it (usually at 50°C drive temperature), the manufacturer will replace it. After a 5 years they will be obsolete and a risk anyways.

1 Like

I was looking as well at:

• ASHRAE, which btw also gives another range of 18-21degrees Celsius, for some environments.
  • recommendations from from a friend working in and with datacenters.

So Is good to know 26-27 degrees celsius It might be okay, thanks for the tip… I believe It depends a lot of the environment has High humidity and corrosive factors for copper.

Anyway you are confirming what I pointed out earlier,that also AC/Dehumidifier Wh consumption represents a cost you Need to factor in, not only PC/server consumed electricity…

Not sure why you would run an AC to cool Hard drives a simple fans with ambient temps is just fine…Do you live in a desert where its 120c? There is no reason to spend a bunch of money on a cooling solution for hard drives they can run at a constant 35c and be fine and dandy up to 40c and be just fine.

The entire point to run a storagenode is to be as efficient as possible because your not gonna become rich by running a node. Especially not in the first month your lucky to make 23cents… And not buy a bunch of hardware to do so, did you not read the announcement of storj is going to be reducing the payouts in the near future for all satellites.

You probably missed some or One of my posts, because I already explained it: I said Summer Is coming and Will have to use AC for the mentioned reasons, ambient temperature and humidity needs to be controlled if you do not want want to shorten hdd lifespan.

It seems to me you are suggesting to not even use AC in the Summer in order to be “efficient”… this would mean only have less costs in the short run

What laptop are you talking about here? Acer Predator Helios or similar? My 10 yo Dell E5430, with upgraded CPU from i3-3110M to i7-3740QM (and slightly modded cooling cause it wasn’t designed for higher TDP), draws up to 20 W while running a node, small VM, small docker image and some other stuff like synctrayzor, dropbox, etc. And that’s with one SSD and one 2.5" HDD being included in that reading, which is measured at the wall. 50 or 100 watts has to be either older one or just a beast, none of them being suited for the task from the get-go.

But I understand temperature concerns. Room temps can go easily into 30s in the summer, leading to components exceeding 40 degrees which can start to be dangerous and lead to loss of time when dealing with failures.

1 Like