HardDrive requirements

hi team, according to node requirements the one shall have at least 500GB?
is it an absolut minimum or one can set up a node using 200 GB as well?
I’m lookinng on 2 VPS: one with 200Gb storage and 400Mbs link and another with 700gb storage and 100Mbs. So according to reward calculator link speed is more important then storage, but would want to get clarification regarding minimal harddrive requirement.

1 Like

Yes. You should physically have 500GB + 10% overhead. I would go with 700GB.

3 Likes

If you’re planning to rent a VPS just to run a storagenode on it, then you should stop right there. It will never be profitable.

2 Likes

Why so, do I misunderstand calculation? If I can get a node for 45USD with 700 Gb harddrive and 100Mbs unlimited trafikk. according to Storage node estimator one can get up to 145 USD per month. Assuming that only 1/3 will be utlised, you still be in positve? or do I mis-calcualte something?

1 Like

You’re assuming that customers are downloading data all the time and saturate your bandwidth 100%. This will not even remotely happen. How often do you expect customers to download their data over and over again?

Edit: I made ~$20 in July with a lot of testing going on with 3.5TB stored data and ~ 900 GB egress traffic. Don’t expect that to happen with real customer data. Divide these figures by 5 to get the figures for your “measly” 700GB. Also keep in mind the held amount in escrow.

3 Likes

Sad to see they’ve raised the minimum drive to 500 GB. That eliminates a lot of fast 512 GB NVMe SSDs. I keep watching for the reason but have yet to stumble across it.

1 Like

this is not a recent change, we have always required a minimum of 500 GB for V3 nodes.

1 Like

What will happen if try to start node on 500Gb drive? Will the node does not start at all or will it be disqualified later ?

1 Like

Your node needs to physically have 500GB free space. A 500GB drive won’t have 500GB free space. You will start seeing error in log about failing minimum disk requirement.

1 Like

I know, that 500Gb drive does not have 500GB free space, that’s why asked :smiley:

2 Likes

Did it answer the question to your satisfaction?

50/50
Would be interesting to test it anyway :smiley:

How are you planning on testing it ?

It will give you an error, the node will just keep restarting.

1 Like