Hosting Multiple Nodes - 1 System - Multiple Failover IPs?

Hello,

I am thinking about renting a dedicated server with x4 2TB disks and host 4 nodes , 1 per each disk.

I can have multiple failover IPs so it will be 1 node on the main ip and 3 nodes on 3 failover ips.

I am wondering if I that setup will be possible, and also if each node will get full traffic as if it is running on a seperate subnet and seperate machine?

Just for clarification: Each ip wil be on a different /24 subnet, and the 4 ips will be running on one server with Debian 10 OS.

Yes it is absolutly posible, 1 problem External IP cost money. So you will be in not profit for some time.

… and the dedicated server will cost money too. I can’t imagine it being profitable. It will take a long time to fill 8TB.

Sorry, but I would check this out - a failover IP can mean something completely different, leaving you with only 1 active IP address at a time…

If you are paying $$ for something, check that the public IP’s you are being provided with are routable - are bound to your host ? If this on a single network interface ? or will the host be presented with multiple interfaces ?

See if they will let you know which blocks the IP’s are in - no point being in a subnet will loads of other Storj nodes, as it will impact your traffic.

If this is a virtual private server, enquire on the IOPS caps, network caps, CPU caps - some vendors will up the spec, but in the very small print it will limit you (they don’t really want you at 100% cpu / disk usage after all, or sharing TB’s of data )

OS is down to you, Debian is fine, or Ubuntu 20.04.03 LTS is also a good stable release - both can run the same packages.

I would use Docker, but I am bias - you can have those nodes up and running in a matter of seconds, once you have the identity.

Keep in mind, you might have a firewall put infront of the server for you, so don’t forget to open the Storj ports for your nodes :slight_smile:

… But buying a server is expensive, not sure how that will pay for itself in my view, unless you are getting it around $1 a month…

CP

1 Like

I will get dedicated server from here, it has x4 2TB disks and I can have up to 16 failover ips but I need to pay 1.5$ setup fee per ip

https://www.soyoustart.com/us/essential-servers/

https://www.soyoustart.com/us/failover-ip.xml

This will never be profitable. The amount you pay for the server is about what you can expect with 8TB stored data. Until you get 8TB (maybe in a year) you’ll lose money and then you’ll just get as much as you pay for your server.

1 Like