How can such overusage happen?

you are right, at that level it certainly is a lot.
doesn’t mean it can’t stop if it runs out of space…

but you are right to be concerned, running totally out of space could be really dangerous for stuff like databases and such.

i suppose it could also be something like uploads that are already started when it reaches it saturation point and starts to refuse uploads.

the uploads already begun would most likely be finished, i would assume…
and storagenodes can get a ton of uploads concurrently.
in the hundreds or even thousands depending on how busy it is…

i recently set my max concurrent to 100 and i still see uploads rejected on rare occasion.

Yes, that is my major concern that a node might crash when it reaches the space limit. Basically it means you cannot fully utilize a HDD and have to keep several GBs free at all times just for these occasions. How much is safe? Also it is not clear if that over usage get’s paid for? If it remains undetected until a filewalker process I guess it does not getting paid until it gets detected?

i know that some SNO has run into the max capacity of the hdd without any major problems.
then end up on the forum complaining about their nodes not growing or not getting uploads.

so i don’t think you should be to worried about it, i certainly haven’t seen any signs of that with the limited knowledge i got on the subject.

also i’m unsure if the filewalker capacity calculations has anything to do with the actual payouts.
i think its mostly there to keep track of how much capacity is used on a live basis.

the payouts themselves i would suspect to be calculated by the satellite databases of piece storage, which from what i have been told is then compared to a local calculation on the storagenode.
so i guess the filewalker capacity number could play a part in verifying that the numbers the satellite come up with is roughly right, but i would suspect the local part of more like a checksum, just to be easily able to see if something it crazily off.

in short i think you will be paid regardless what the filewalker says…

but to truly understand what is happening in these cases would most likely require extensive code reviews and full understanding of all the involved storagenode mechanics.

i know @BrightSilence has in the past dug deep into verifying the earnings match up with the stored data, and in some cases has found minor deviations which then later was fixed.

i think that was the case when one of the satellites was months behind on its calculations of earnings, so people was essentially being paid earnings that was earned months back.

if memory serves it was due to the satellite being overworked and storjlabs migrated or upgraded their satellite infrastructure to fix the issue.

so its certainly not without precedence that payments can be affected by various issues.
but there are few people that can really give us the exacts of that stuff.
and would require a great deal of work i suspect.

@SGC is right, you get paid based on the pieces the satellite knows you have. So you will definitely get paid for over usage. Though by the time this starts to make any noticeable difference at all, you have bigger problems on your hands.

The time you were referring to was definitely not minor.

Oh how I miss the times of surge payout :slight_smile:

But yeah, they were $108 short on my node at the time.
It was corrected the next month though.

Since then things have stabilized a bit more. And while small differences still happen, they are insignificant at this point. It’s just a few cents here and there. Basically negligible. If you want to see these numbers on your own node, the earnings calculator does the work of comparing satellite payout stats to local node stats automatically for you.

1 Like

lol yeah but didn’t really consider it a true deviation, since the satellite was just far far far behind on the accounting, so at that point in time it was a deviation, but really long term it was all accounted for…

certainly did get people to sit up and take note…
found it a bit funny how long it had taken before anyone noticed.

yeah and i had just joined the v3 network so i got like 2$ in surge lol total
i just thought we got surge last payout… but sadly not and then crypto prices tanked afterwards.

so that wasn’t really a blessing lol even tho people did see it as such at the time… should have sold, but it also sucks to have no tokens when the prices eventually go back up :smiley:

hopefully it will end up being a boon, eventually…

1 Like