How does "Disk Space Used This Month" work?

Right, so the mismatch between the “Disk space used this month” chart and the space used as shown in the “Disk space remaining” bar is part of the bug StorjLabs are currently looking into I guess.
For now, I’ve hundreds of GB available on my disk so I’m safe. Thx for the heads up @donald.m.motsinger though, I’ll monitor that closely :slight_smile:

I launched node 2 jan, i have bandwidth used this month 36.01GB and disk space used this month 254.75GB*h
Can you tell me how it works? I can’t figure how 36.01GB total for month allows disk space to be used at 254.75GB*h
Also i would be grateful for any tips to improve my node.

GB*h is a unit of gigabytes stored multiplied by the time it’s stored in hours.
So 1GB stored for a day would be 24GB *h.

1 Like

Bandwidth also contain to parts Ingress- is data that will be stored on your HDD
And Egress is data you load back to client- for this trafic you will earn 20$ per TB

1 Like

Not very intuitive :confused:
Does GBh somehow convert to mbps? Since mbps is mb/s I’m confused
Does it mean that 255 gb
h is 255 hours to store one GB?

Yes, but is could be 225GB for 1h
mbps is speed you cant mesure stored ammount in speed

2 Likes

No.

However, a given node’s available space should fill in a time that is proportional to the available bandwidth.

It’s also important that GB is not 1024 Megabytes but rather 1000 Megabytes. Storage is paid in Terabyte hours, so the calculation is:

storage in bytes at end of UTC day / 10^12 * hours since beginning of month

1 Like

Theres nothing really you can do to improve if your node is new it is still vetting until 100 successful audits once this happens you will get alot more data.

2 Likes

Technically yes, the units can be converted since they are both measurements of (amount of data) / (unit of time). However, converting to Mbps doesn’t really help you since Mbps is typically used to measure throughput while in storagenode, GB/h is used to represent timed storage duration.

The units can be used for either metric, but the metrics don’t measure the same thing.

GB * h, not the GB / h, the difference is huge. The total amount of GBh will be divided on hours in month to get an amount of data used for the whole month.

2 Likes

:man_facepalming:

Clearly I have not had enough caffeine yet this morning.

You will get 24GBh if you store 1GB for 24h time. This is simplest variation.
if you store 10GB for 24h will be 240GBh

1 Like

The reason why I ask is my doubts - did I allocate bandwidth correctly. My internet provider states 800mbps both sides which i tested on speedtests and got different results ranging from 200mbps to 1gps. My best hopes are 770 mbps both sides. So I went with that. Maybe the right question here is - what happens if I allocate too much bandwidth I can’t provide?

Nothing happens your node just wont use that amount. Your lucky to beable to hit 100Mbit right now. Even if you changed your bandwidth to use 100000TB/s it isnt going to make it so your node uses that amount, Its only the amount your internet can handle.

1 Like

I understand that it can’t take more than it can take, what about node reputation?

No your rep is based on audits not really the speed of your node, remember the file sizes are 4mb for 1 piece.

1 Like

This seems relevant here, i got an idea about why the Disk Space Used This Month graph fucks up…
it seems to me after carefully watching this graph on my fairly new node, that there is a pattern to the madness… 1. the graph only seem to update at about twice daily rate, infact from what i can see it’s getting later and later in the night before it updates, like it updates every 13 hours or something like that…
if this is the case, then that would explain the inconsistent graph. like if we say it updates at
07:00 in the morning, 1st in the month
20:00 the same night, 1st in the month
09:00 the next morning, 2nd in the month
23:00, then that evening, 2nd in the month

12:00 only 3rd in the month - you see the problem here…

01:00 4th in the month
14:00 4th in the month

i would suggest a correction to the update time, so that it updates based on a fixed schedule, such as a certain time every day.

duno if this is the problem, but it sure seems very close to explain what i am seeing and what other people are seeing, and would also explain why so often the Disk Space Used This Month, gives out numbers that seemingly are inconsistent with web dashboards Disk Space Remaining and or actual used disk capacity.

not sure where i was suppose to put this post.

Hello, can you explain this to me please? Why does my TB * h graph indicate 0 for several days?

You were offline. It counts the used space only when the storage is online

but the admin page show im online…