How long to start earning a profit?

So out of curiosity, how long does it take to start earning profit running a storage node. I understand that you want to vet my site as a storage node, but at the same time, I’m vetting Storj to see if it’s worth the time and effort. I’ve been running since Sunday morning, I have a 1G fiber internet, 3T of storage, and right now it says my expected payout is $0.03, before the hold back.

Is this a worthwhile system to run, or not.

Look here for an answer:

https://forum.storj.io/t/realistic-earnings-estimator/6693

1 Like

Thanks, that gives me a lot better idea what to expect. I fired up a 3TB node just to evaluate the system and see if it was worth investing any money in hardware. From your examples, it shows with 28TB online and a 1G connection, you can expect $450 total at the end of the year. I’m not sure that would even cover power let alone provide a return on investment on the hardware. I’ll probably let the system run for awhile and see how it all play out (since the computer will be online anyway). If the revenue doesn’t come up, the system will come down :frowning: .

Thanks

Yeah, I’m a network engineer (Manager, Global Network Operations) for a large corp. When ATT started 1G fiber, I just had to have it :slight_smile: Running a quad core i5 server on linux as my personal email server, so I had the machine. Just added some SATA 3 drives to the system and installed docker… If the system is cost effective, I’ll spin up something bigger with more storage, but I can’t see investing a lot of cash until I know it will eventually pay for itself… Time will tell.

Thanks for the responses.

1 Like

Me, too, as soon as ATT offered the 1Gbps I bought the option with no cap. I started with Storj and added a few new HDDs (first a 10TiB then a few 14TiB). They have already paid for themselves.

Hello @lbaker ,
Welcome to the forum!

You doesn’t need to have a powerful machine to start a node, see Running node on OpenWRT router?

1st month estimate… $0.22.

Not a very good showing on StorJ’s part. Maybe I’ll reconfigure the machine and start running a VPN access node. :frowning:

If you’re not looking further than the first month, then I think Storj may not be for you. Storj requires long term loyal nodes, it takes time to first vet your node for reliability and then fill up that node with customer data. You can make decent money once that happens though.

As for running a VPN access node, I would warn you that that involves a lot more risk to your network security. People will be emerging on the internet using your very much identifiable IP. If you don’t know really well what you are doing and aren’t very well versed in network security, you shouldn’t be taking on those risks.

For quick money, start mining on GPU’s. For sustained income over time without a lot of energy waste, Storj is your thing. For network security professionals, maaaybe consider running a VPN access node.

2 Likes

I fully understand they want to vet my node. Do they understand that they ALSO need to be vetted. My stats are 100% from every location. No downtime. No significant amount of storage has been added since the 1st week. How long does it take for this to actually be worthwhile. I would EXPECT at a minimum a slow increase on the amount of storage used as my node proves reliable. I’m not seeing that. They are only using 69G out of 3T of storage and bandwidth usage is not really rising. How much trust in the system is a payout of $0.04 after holdback supposed to get the company. I like the ideal of this project, but I had to put out hard cash to get the storage, hard cash to pay the utilities and internet, and I’m not seeing any ramp up in the return.

For this system to cover it’s cost, cost not profit, it probably needs to return $15 per month. 22 cents, before holdback, it at best a bad joke.

Assuming I don’t have any hardware issues (and I don’t), how long does it take for this system to actually start using my node so it’s covering the hard costs associated with running it. Seems like an easy question that no one really wants to give a real answer to.

I started almost 2 years ago, with 1-2 nodes. On those time were more ingress than now. but my new last nodes are 9 months old, and has 1,5TB each. so last 9 month there is less ingress than before. But all my 42 nodes made 600$+ last month. So in long term it is very profitable.
I builded all step by step, and expanded from profit.
Also I made 5-6 days ago made new node and it already got 30GB

1 Like

Definitely wrong system then.

Because there is no easy answer to that. Your Ingress/Egress and therefore your payment depends on customer for StorJ DCS.

For now there is a lot of free space on the network and ingress (storage usage) grows rather slow.

I think you should go back to literally the first reply in this topic which links to an earnings estimator that will tell you exactly that for your setup. This question has absolutely been answered. Within 15 minutes of you posting the question originally even.

2 Likes

Storj is not för yup. I run storj for fun. I mean, my Synology is already on 24/7. We’ll, 4 Exos 16TB reading and writing is very noisy. Almost 8 months now, I guess I’ve made less than 10usd.