How many node do you have?

Hi! Out of curiosity, would you be willing to share the name of some of these projects? I have a very quick internet connection and plenty of storage that I would like to put to good use. If not, no worries. Cheers. Tiago

3 Likes

14 TB on 3 nodes not full on 2 public IPs with the same provider (5$/m option for labbing)
2 x2TB old nodes full running on corei3 mini-pc hackintoshed on applefs as external USB devices
A macmini i7 as cold standby configured to takeover mini-pc (no failure so far) used for other minings
10TB on synology 412+ in Raid5 not full yet but very fast
All recycled materials with no crash. Just had to slow down the ingress throughput to the minipc no accepting more than 3MBs due to low specs
Planning to start a rapi4 one in july to learn docker ARM
Looking forward the syno backup app to recycle my STORJs AND consolidated Https dashboard

If you are ready to spend time on projects not in prod, Check out golem or Akash network which in currently in challenge phase2 for building a decentralized cloud infrastructure with compute and storage.

Hello Bob,

How do you limit the ingress ?

Thank you.

6 posts were split to a new topic: Is it possible to run 2 docker node on one pc and how is it done

Siacoin is the only other publicly participate-able project, but I price SC/TB stored like Storj pays but bandwidth a lot cheaper, do not get much for contracts as a result, prices for it are rock bottom with lots of people providing storage and bandwidth for much cheaper. My other projects are just some other non-decentralized side gigs.

1 Like

Not mine, but randomly saw this single location of 677 nodes in Kassel from storjnet.info :sunglasses:

Thats more then in all of canada must be in a datacenter.

1 Like

ip geolocations aren’t always correct in germany. E.g. I have vodafone cable and my IP geolocation shows Hannover (which is in the north) even though I live in the very south of Germany… So this is more likely just an ISP location and not a datacenter. I doubt any german datacenter has 677 nodes in it. None of these nodes would make any profit, even if that datacenter had over 100 subnets available.

4 Likes

That’s a reply that someone who has a node in a datacenter lol jk.
Also then explain why it’s so concentrated in one location if that was the case I doubt there’s 617 random people in one location running these nodes too.
Even if it was many subnet it would still be concentrated in one area because if a data center has many subnets would still show it in a location because that’s how it’s setup.

You can see anywhere it’s super concentrated of nodes I can google where a datacenter is located and sure enough there is a datacenter.

Take Canada for an example You Look at Montreal theres a datacenter you look at Toronto there is a datacenter you look at Ottawa no datacenter. Barely any nodes.

I can actually imagine a large data center using their spare, unused capacity for services like Storj.

Consider, let say, Hetzner. They probably have tens of thousands of customers, so likely manage a similar number of IP addresses. They can probably chip off one address out of every /24 block they have access to, because most customers only manage single IPs or maybe some /28, /27 subblocks. They have plenty of storage that is waiting for customers… while unused, why not use for Storj? And they can do it on scale, meaning a single person automating hundreds of nodes.

Now the work involved wouldn’t probably pay off the engineer tasked with setting up the nodes, Tardigrade’s too small for that yet. But I wouldn’t be surprised that if Tardigrade manages to take off, most of storage will be provided by places like that.

Most of it can be automated easily for their scale. Kind of like renting amazon spot instances back in the day, hetzner would use their idle storage for this easily.

Is it worthwhile? That’s another question, i’m not sure the demand is quite there yet.

1 Like

This makes me glad there is no datacenters remotely near me. Cause you know people with VPNs also hide there true locations…

Doubtful that any datacenter would set up nodes to earn extra profit. Compared to typical web applications that’s a heavy load on HDDs which might already make the extra income irrelevant because HDDs die earlier.
Besides, datacenter owners aren’t interested in crypto stuff. They have better things to do than following all developments in the crypto world. Maybe there is some owner who finds storj but then it might be a single datacenter in a whole country.

2 Likes

Hetzner’s already offers large storage servers at approximately 1.6 EUR/non-redundant TB (before VAT), so less than what can be earned from Storj. Given that this is what Hetzner’s asks, it must already cover running and maintenance expenses and generate some profit. So it would be as good as having actual customer paying for this server, or maybe even better. If only there was more data stored…

No, but Hetzner’s in storage business. Storj would essentially bringing them customers. They might not care whether customers access their storage via FTP, NFS, SMB or Tardigrade… why would they?

I dont think hetzner doing that as its make lot of stress to storage, maybe it would make profit but only in long term and its not profitable to run enterprise storage for storj and for that count of nodes need additional hands to update nodes time by time so not sure.

The enter a new point of error via Tardigrade, so they might actually trust their own hosting solution more than Tardigrade

Anything is better than SMB, and Hetzner’s offers it.

1 Like

I you run NFS instead of CIFS it runs like a charm :slight_smile:

Hello @Firmw4re,
Welcome to the forum!
Please, don’t use either NFS: https://forum.storj.io/tag/nfs or CIFS: https://forum.storj.io/tag/smb
They are neither supported nor recommended. The only compatible network protocol is iSCSI. However, any network attached drive will have a higher latency than any local connected, so, it’s better to use a local connected drives instead.

1 Like