How many node do you have?

I have a combination of both RAID and non-raid.

But once a node gets to the point that it has 5TB+ or more than 250$ in escrow, i prefer to move it to RAID storage. I’m following a lot of your posts, and am going with RAID6 + 960GB Intel datacenter grade SSD cache.

I have 3 raspi’s right now, they have 8TB external (SHR eww) hdd’s and are getting full. They have tons of escrow so at this point i think it just makes sense to migrate them to more redundant storage - especially since eventually data allocation from the network will be prioritized to older nodes. So these are valueable to me (and to the network).

I’ve been using ZFS since the early days on opensolaris. Absolutely love it - wish that Synology used it. For all my servers, even if just a single drive, i run zfs whenever possible for storj. i’ve had multiple irrecoverable errors thus far with ext4 (usually only effecting one file, and luckily i haven’t got dq’d for it yet, but …) ZFS is the best though.

But anyways i digress, back on topic :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Just one node at present.
I’m new to this, so when my first node gets vetted I will get another one up and running.
Not doing it for the money, I’m doing it for the cool factor. If eventually I start making some money then that’ll be even better :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I have Three nodes on line and other 2 nodes in starter:

1. 13TB on Raid 6 (2 months)
  2. 3TB single disk (2 months)
  3. 3TB single disk( 2 weeks)

2 nodes 3TB single disk (offline)

1 Like

I have 8 nodes with 10TB each. three of them are full, three half full and two are almost empty.
i see it similarly to @graphtek
the project has a lot of potential but outside of the test times the traffic is almost zero. the hard drives run 24/7 and power is also drawn. fortunately, I also have Pis, so the power consumption is not worth mentioning.

there is still no advertising for Tardigrade
and ordinary users, Tardigrade is more than too complicated.

i think if something doesn’t change soon, Storj will die.

Storj’s payout is getting lower every month because traffic is getting less and less. In order to make any money at all, you have to run a similar project at the moment, which is why I gave half of it to another project on each of my free servers where there was still free space.

Of course, I’m not just looking for money. fun also plays a big role. but when I see that Storj uses my hard drives 24/7/365, but in the end I get nothing worth talking about, i have to look for something else. at some point an HDD has to be replaced and these are also costs that cannot be kept with Storj at the moment. in addition, there is always the fear that a node will fail and all the money held will be lost.

Of course I could run RAID. then I also have double the cost

5 Likes

You have summarized everything well, more as you say Tardigrade is very complicated and no simple application used to transfer data like other providers. I don’t think this storj project will take off and die at the end. the payments are ridiculous to the node operator compared to the price paid by the customer at storj. the whole network is linked thanks to operators like us, otherwise there would not be storj. he should see things better to retain the operators of nodes otherwise no one will stay long term.

4 Likes

6 nodes on Ubuntu / docker
3 locations
16/21TB

1 Like

Three nodes, one location. The raspi worked in a different physical location for about a year.

1. Raspberry Pi3 B+, 2TB. Works since Feb 2019, total earnings $340.86 and $83 held back
  2. Home entertainment “server” (Windows 10 Pro), I7 Intel64 Family 6 Model 60 Stepping 3 GenuineIntel ~3401 Mhz, 32GB. It’s have a few VMs for different purposes and used for multimedia and games.
    2.1. Windows docker node, 1TB. Works since Jun 2019, total earnings $140.58 and $122.28 held back
    2.2. Windows GUI node, 7TB. Works since Jul 2019, total earnings $223.86 and $139.40 held back

This is a long play game. Now they pay my electricity and part of house bills.

6 Likes

I have one Windows GUI node with 1.5 Tb node already vetted and completely filled up (probably with test data, as this is it´s second month on the network)

@Alexey How is the Raspberry Pi performing? I’m thinking on starting a node on a Raspberry Pi 4 8 Gb, but i´m a bit concerned about the performance considering the low specs and USB 3.0 HDD - looks like it may lose most upload races

1 Like

It works very well and do not bother me - it “lives” inside the sofa (because outlet behind the sofa…) since Jul 2019 and seems do not have any objections :slight_smile:

If serious - it’s slower than any of Windows node when have a deal with small pieces, but works fine with a big ones.

2 Likes

3 nodes, 2 locations, 28TB used/300TB available.

Storj occupies a small part of my infrastructure which is mostly used for other projects but it does help to supplement some expenses without needing much maintenance and largely pays for itself as unit operational costs for it are marginal at best, despite 2 of my nodes only being 6 months old.

2 Likes

2 Synology 412+ with 16TB combined
4 Windows nodes with 17TB combined
1 RPI 3B+ with 2TB

Netherlands and Portugal under different ISPs and locations.

2 Likes

1 NAS with 4 big drives in RAID5. Storj node is ~9 months old and has 15TB allocated to it and ~10.5TB is currently used — I can allocate at least 10 more TB if needed.
I used the same NAS for media server, “download server” and a few other services so Storj does not necessarily have to cover the 3000$ cost of the equipment. At the current rate it may cover the equipment cost in roughly 10 years.

1 Like

4 Windows PC, 5 GUI nodes on each+1 additional on first pc.
total 21 Node 60TB shared for Storj.

2 Likes

1 node 2.5TB 2 months :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

2 RPi 4 (4GB) nodes:
First one has been running since Aug 2019 and has a 10TB USB-3 hard drive connected. It’s about 95% full. Payouts thus far is $168 with $157 held back.
Second one was started in Apr 2020 and has a 12TB USB-3 hard drive connected. It’s about 17% full. Payouts thus far is <$1 and ~$3 held back.

1 Like

3 nodes from 2019
~10 nodes from jan-apr 2020. After jun/july 3-5 will be killed (in addition to 2 other already killed) because critical low profit :slight_smile:

3 Likes

1 node, currently with 13.4TB of data on it.

1 Like

2 nodes.
First 5tb full second 1tb almost filled up

1 Like

1 node, 2 TB, full. I would have set up more nodes if it was easy to set up multiple nodes on a Windows machine, but it’s not, so I can’t be bothered.

1 Like

my 2 nodes are too humble and young to worth mentioning.

of much is tons? I know is sensitive information, but it would be really useful to know how much earns can be expected in real cases, depending on the age and size of the nodes. Being as it is the earnings estimator, it would be wonderful to have real world cases data.

Seeing your data, seems that it´s more profitable to have multiple nodes with less TB, than just one or a few big ones.

The real deal breaker is the catastrophic consequences of a node failure, leading to DQ. It´s just a matter of time that something happens that spoils the node. I think it should be ways to recover, because losing a 2 years node (2 years of caring) it´s going to be very moral weakening. At the end, only people with big and very expensive infrastructure will be able to avoid losing such ancient nodes. All this does not sound too great in terms of net decentralization. Just thinking out loud.

2 Likes