How many node do you have?

2 nodes, opened the 2nd after the first filled. Totals about 7TB each, 14TB almost filled now, and the 3rd ready to start up with another 7TB in a few days. Running on the same ubuntu host, same ISP.

The first is RAID10 4x10TBs, and the second is a test on a single solo CMR drive until it matures more.

They are share the same traffic. If I could have a big one node - the earnings will be the same or higher. However, I would not join remained space from two different HDD on my home server, they are different in size, and I do not want to lose the whole node if one of the HDD would die. I do not have a free HDDs to make a RAID6/10, so I run them as a separate nodes.
The rpi3 is completely separate device, so join it doesnā€™t makes any sense. It was a first node.

When I join storj there were like 1.700 nodes =) now I see more then 6.000 ā€¦ bad for me good for storj =)

To answer your question I own 3 nodes 5TB each, next month I will spin up the 4th !

1 Like

There is only one way to recover - it is start from scratch.
All my nodes already paid itself, because I used already existing hardware for two of my nodes, the rpi3 is paid itself a long time ago and if one of them would die, I just can buy a next disk and spin up the next node. With 3 years warranty I think it will paid itself too and I would have a profit like now.
Also, you can make a Graceful Exit to return a held amount back when it reached the 15 months age to protect your money if you do not monitor your hardware and afraid that it could die.
With a basic monitoring you can replace the disk before it dies and keep your node running.

2 Likes

thanks alexey for your replies.

IĀ“m really surprised by the very high concentration in Paris. Is there a reason for that? Is it the cradle of the Proyect?

I believe that the map is not entirely correct. Where I live and run my nodes (deep in a village) is not one on the map and there should be at least two :smiley:

It uses IP location, which is often clustered in the same location. Paris may simply be the default for a large number of IP blocks.

Unfortunately, none of my 3 nodes is present on this map :frowning:

I use regular DSL connections, so geolocating via IP should work.

1 Like

To me ā€˜tonsā€™ is around $300 a node. I have had them running a long time.

I have multiple IPs at my home and office that Iā€™m allowed to use, so your logic is a bit flawed, iā€™m not running the 3 raspiā€™s on the same IP currently. At home we have multiple internet connections, so I will put all the data on the Synology and then route multiple public non same /24 IPs to those nodes.

I am also planning to re-launch the raspiā€™s as new nodes, potentially at friends houses or something, havenā€™t fully thought it through yet.

yeah! Thatā€™s tons!
just to clarify, you are talking total, not monthly, I assume.

same here. Therefore I think that the map is not entirely correct. I will contact the creator at Github and ask how the map is composed.

@Alexey can you post your succes rate of Pi3 please? I still have a Pi3 flying around and have been thinking about installing the Pi3 with a 4TB HDD at my parentsā€™ house.

So far, however, I thought that the Pi3 could not achieve any noteworthy yield.

Yes for a node online a long time.

I actually donā€™t see a big difference between having a gigabit on some of my nodes versus 300/300mbit on some of them. Thats not the limiting factor its mainly the longeitivty of keeping it online in order to fill it up

1 Like

My node doesnā€™t show up in my town either although the IP geolocation does point to the correct cityā€¦

but itā€™s interesting that most nodes exist in Germany. I would have expected that there are more nodes in the USA but even France has more nodes.

1 Like

Might be more nerds in EuropešŸ˜„.
Im one of em. Not an tech savvy at all but love to try different things. This project got me into Linux and I have to say that its like another world now when im getting the hang of it.

1 Like

Plenty of cheap VPS hosting providers there.

1 Like

They dont offer much HDD storage in Germany thoughā€¦

I find the server prices by us in Germany very high if storage needs to be included. There are cheaper countries, but Germany has very good connections. (In the cities xD)

well actually there should be a difference so far as i have been able to tell, storagenode incoming and outgoing data atleast mostly for nowā€¦ is almost like clock workā€¦ if you compare two nodes of the same age they will have nearly the same amounts of data on them and upload and downloads will be basically identical within a 5-10% or so marginā€¦ which is most likely down times and what notā€¦

the satellites seems to allocate the bandwidth and dataā€¦ thus a 1gbit node may fill fasterā€¦ in theoryā€¦ but when you reach the level of the other nodes of the same age and reputation or whateverā€¦ then you will follow along with the pack basicallyā€¦

atleast so far as i have been able to gather from trying to study the subject without going all science on itā€¦

you can even see it if you are offline for a few hour or soā€¦ then the sats will increase your allotment when you get back onā€¦ was a bit of a puzzle for a long time for meā€¦ because whenever i would test then i might get variation over short periodsā€¦because of downtimeā€¦

making it very difficult to do short term testsā€¦ when the sats get either pissed that you keep rebooting or allot you more data for expended downtime.

ofc i also assume unlimited bandwidth and unlimited storage spaceā€¦ for thisā€¦if somebody has like minimum required bandwidthā€¦ maybe they will see larger differencesā€¦ but i kinda doubt itā€¦ they will just seen uploads over longer periods where the faster connections are idle.
i think

1 Like

yes, of course. However, it doesnā€™t makes a lot of sense: partially canceled messages are not valid:

1 Like

Is it? Been running on a CIFS share for 2 months now.