How many people here (SNO's) would contribute to a community satellite

Node stats are based on the nodes on data. So old traffic will never disappear.

Are you sure that audits and repair even work on storj-sim with dev defaults?

It certainly used to work I think itā€™s not running ATM as old data (data that is uploaded after the backup I restored was taken)and only 2
nodes
I use to see the tasks running in storj-sim output

Hello @1qazx
I created a node yesterday, but I still havenā€™t received any traffic in 25 hours.
The node is online and there are no errors in the log.
Here is my node ID 1hPLiv5uAkDNy6CECEe4e2BLWViYZMbbXfLfT9pEmfHBH9TaCN

Cool was going to ask about logs but until I fix 8 test nodes or we find 8 more there probably wonā€™t be much traffic because I canā€™t upload or download with less than ten nodes I do plan to fix this asap and I am sorry itā€™s slow @jag48 and @Pentium100 I plan to fix the 8 nodes so I can start to upload and back upy db to us1 for stability but thanks everyone who has joined so far

UPDATE : I have written the backup script and it backsup to us1 every 5 minutes but I canā€™t manage to fix the nodes and do t know if / how I can force storj Sim to make 10 more (@littleskunk how could I manage this)even though itā€™s late might keep trying to fix the nodes

UPDATE:I can now confirm that the reason for no audits is there are not enough pieces to audit(my satellite log said pretty much this) so I must find a way to recreate /repair my storj Sim nodes (or do it manually but that takes more time)or get extra nodes I hope more people would like to join us but I am still working on getting the 10 nodes of my own for now

@Pentium100 and @jag48 worst case now that I have made a backup script would you guys mind if you had to change the satellite url because with the new scripts I have written it will be much faster and more stable it backsup to us1

1 Like

Hello.
I donā€™t mind. Say what is required of me. If necessary, I can recreate the node. Letā€™s fix all the problems in the early stages:)

1 Like

But to make it easier:

1. Generate a new identity, you do not need to sign it (no need for authorization token from Storj).
  2. Create a new node as you normally would with that identity (donā€™t forget to use a different port and forward tcp and udp), but add this to the config.yaml file
# if true, uses peer ca whitelist checking
server.use-peer-ca-whitelist: false

# list of trust sources
storage2.trust.sources: 12nErpw5894bSadEPfYLc4PJQ6ZuFHNhqhXHTAYdPsSzBrNcUiX@de-tube.ddns.net:10000
  1. Start the node, it should connect to the satellite.

If you have any questions, ask them :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks i did try to install new nodes manually but while doing this storj Sim died so @jag48 and @Pentium100 I will change the itā€™s and get it up and running again ASAP some time today I hope again thanks guys for joining

Anyone know what could be doing this now not even a new sat is starting guys
I am so sorry for this but again I plan to get it up asap (I work only on this day/night)

| DEBUG	process/tracing.go:72	Anonymized tracing disabled

satellite-migration/0 13:56:03.166 | DEBUG process/exec_conf.go:403 Unrecoverable error {ā€œerrorā€: ā€œError creating new master database connection for satellitedb migration: satellitedb: failed opening database via DBX at "postgres://?application_name=satellite-migration": satellitedb: failed to connect to host=/var/run/postgresql user=pi database=: dial error (dial unix /var/run/postgresql/.s.PGSQL.5432: connect: no such file or directory)\n\tstorj.io/storj/satellite/satellitedb.open:128\n\tstorj.io/storj/satellite/satellitedb.Open:102\n\tmain.cmdMigrationRun:472\n\tstorj.io/private/process.cleanup.func1.4:372\n\tstorj.io/private/process.cleanup.func1:390\n\tgithub.com/spf13/cobra.(*Command).execute:852\n\tgithub.com/spf13/cobra.(*Command).ExecuteC:960\n\tgithub.com/spf13/cobra.(*Command).Execute:897\n\tstorj.io/private/process.ExecWithCustomConfigAndLogger:93\n\tstorj.io/private/process.ExecWithCustomConfig:75\n\tstorj.io/private/process.ExecCustomDebug:70\n\tmain.main:908\n\truntime.main:255ā€, ā€œerrorVerboseā€: ā€œError creating new master database connection for satellitedb migration: satellitedb: failed opening database via DBX at "postgres://?application_name=satellite-migration": satellitedb: failed to connect to host=/var/run/postgresql user=pi database=: dial error (dial unix /var/run/postgresql/.s.PGSQL.5432: connect: no such file or directory)\n\tstorj.io/storj/satellite/satellitedb.open:128\n\tstorj.io/storj/satellite/satellitedb.Open:102\n\tmain.cmdMigrationRun:472\n\tstorj.io/private/process.cleanup.func1.4:372\n\tstorj.io/private/process.cleanup.func1:390\n\tgithub.com/spf13/cobra.(*Command).execute:852\n\tgithub.com/spf13/cobra.(*Command).ExecuteC:960\n\tgithub.com/spf13/cobra.(*Command).Execute:897\n\tstorj.io/private/process.ExecWithCustomConfigAndLogger:93\n\tstorj.io/private/process.ExecWithCustomConfig:75\n\tstorj.io/private/process.ExecCustomDebug:70\n\tmain.main:908\n\truntime.main:255\n\tmain.cmdMigrationRun:474\n\tstorj.io/private/process.cleanup.func1.4:372\n\tstorj.io/private/process.cleanup.func1:390\n\tgithub.com/spf13/cobra.(*Command).execute:852\n\tgithub.com/spf13/cobra.(*Command).ExecuteC:960\n\tgithub.com/spf13/cobra.(*Command).Execute:897\n\tstorj.io/private/process.ExecWithCustomConfigAndLogger:93\n\tstorj.io/private/process.ExecWithCustomConfig:75\n\tstorj.io/private/process.ExecCustomDebug:70\n\tmain.main:908\n\truntime.main:255ā€}

And again I am sorry but please guys donā€™t give up on this idea it can work it will just take some modifications/trial. And error

Unfortunately, I do not know how to solve your problem, maybe you should ask the developers. Take your time and fix all the bugs, Iā€™ll be waiting for you.

starting big projects takes months or years, at bestā€¦
you have an interesting goal, iā€™ll gladly supply a node or two.
when iā€™m convinced itā€™s worth the effort, maybe it is, maybe it isnā€™tā€¦
havenā€™t really been paying to much attention to this, but its interestingā€¦

have you done the math, i mean decentralized storage isnā€™t great for everythingā€¦ but atleast in theory it should be great for streamingā€¦ and yetā€¦
it does also need to be profitable for the node operators, which means you will need to go through some numbers, to see if what you propose actually makes senseā€¦

the concept isnā€™t very useful, if it isnā€™t beneficial for all involved.
and there are certainly also benefits to a centralized streaming approach.

i like the idea and hope it succeeds, but that doesnā€™t mean its viableā€¦
only by understanding the economics of it, can it be vaguely suggested that itā€™s a viable path.

I have made an example using us1 it works great to stream and also the way I plan to pay the nodes has also been tested but thanks for understanding It can take so long

The new url /satellite address is but I plan to iron out more bugs so anyone who hopes to avoid the bugs I will tell you all once my satellite has been up and stable for a few weeks

1wJvxbwfcNtSpPmCMYjnJyFTpsQdtcqCWq8CEryXrLVfW8NgGh

OK, when you are ready, please notify me Iā€™ll start the node.

I sure will thanks again @Pentium100

Are you running on release defaults now?

I am running the default storj-sim

I guess itā€™s good at first, but you probably should try to run a ā€œrealā€ satellite at some point. Iā€™m pretty sure the sim version would have some settings optimized for ease of use, but not for actual production use.

Afaik a real satellite is much the same as storj Sim (I thought even the same software) just with the other services running externally isnā€™t it?

A storj satellite will need an uplink and all of the other parts to afaik a satellite by it self would be impossible to upload data to as the uplink is the part responsible for this but I do plan to distribute the services like uplink but it will take time ATM still working on satellite dashboard

And I know itā€™s optimised for testing but I plan to change this for my project

And at the moment optimised for testing is what I need as this could take some time

Iā€™ve mentioned this before. No itā€™s not. Not when you run with dev defaults. Data protection is not set up for long term reliability and parallelisation is much lower leading to significantly slower uploads and downloads. So performance will be sub par and data protection not guaranteed. They are dev defaults for a reason.

Edit: I responded this before you added the rest of the message

I plan to research the data protection and add it and I have noticed that the upload is fairly slow but I believe this is because storj-sim is running many services and some of them get run more than they would in production

(The reason Iā€™m setting up my satellite dashboard so I can test modifying these Configs/settings to work for my project

@BrightSilence do you know what changes specifically I must make ???