How much are you guys making on average per month…?

Hello @Freedim,
Welcome to the forum!

This is service used by real people, so it is impossible to build an universal formula. Nobody can guarantee that all provided space will be filled fast.

We always suggesting to do not invest to anything with purpose only for Storj, you could not have a ROI any time soon. It’s profitable from day zero if your hardware is already online and all costs paid anyway. In such a case any income is a pure profit.

I would like to suggest you to use this Community Estimator to have an idea:

Copy the spreadsheet to your account and place your numbers. Take a look on needed time to fill up the space and note how much you can earn with the current behavior of the network.

No, great questions and good you ask them before you spend so much money on hardware.

At current utilization you would probably never fill this much space. There is a lack of customers and the current product lacks important features like multipart upload that is being worked on.
But it is very promising and might pick up pace. Maybe it wont. Who knows?

Compared to the hardware you have described my suggestion may sound silly: Start small and grow with the space requirements. My ideal suggestion is this one: (DISCONTINUED)ODROID-HC2 : Home Cloud Two – ODROID

I use one of this myself and it works really well. It is even stackable:

I see this device as a great way to start. Get that and a 2 TB HDD and start your first node to learn anything and see if it suits you. Just to give you an idea about traffic volume, yesterdays was a months peak for one of my node and it received 25 GB ingress (incoming) in total. Now with a 2 TB disk, you can do the math how long it would take to fill it up.

1 Like

thats pretty interesting droid! i might have other project for this build !
haha … but nevertheless, it is pretty cool as Storj node… if they come with POE adapter it would be even better…

1 Like

Besides using my server as a NAS, Discord Bots host, and some other future projects I am still planning I dipped into 4 Crypto projects, StorJ, INXT, MYST and HNT tokens to cover the running cost and RIO long term. And I will add more projects to it if they are any good like some stacking nodes perhaps in the future for some L2 crypto for ETH. So just running StorJ would be unwise unless you get one of those small SOC rigs.

3700X + B450 mobo with custom PBO 2.0 OC settings, 64GB DDR4 using Unraid as OS with 10 HDD’s and 2 TB of SSD cache.

How about a sql database where SNOs can insert a data table of their earnings.

E.G.

• total TB stored per IP-adress (this month)
  • up/down bandwidth of the provider
  • country/region
  • total earnings per (this) month

So a single SNO can even create input every month of his single node. This would as a nice sideeffect flatten fluctuation of network-utilization.

The database request then must filter all entries by country and by up/(down)-link-speed and then creates an average of the filtered entries.

For a new SNO they then can put their hardware-properties in and get an estimate based on user experience not on non-realistic calculations.

I am no programmer and not capable of setting up such a platform. Can somebody do such magic stuff?

This magic stuff is called Google Spreadsheet :slight_smile:
It can be shared and you can filter as you want.

hi Jammerdan,

do you have any information of setting up this build with single power supply supplying power to 4 of the odroid? trying to see any possible built that can simplified the setup. 1 power adapter per disk is quite a troublesome build… any suggestion ?

Unfortunately not. But it should be possible with something like this:

It would require some digging to find compatible components to make sure they fit the Odroid.

Nice idea. Can you set one “magic” File up and share the link please!?

2 Likes

Thanks everyone for your super-helpful and insightful replies!

Great idea to see real life earnings compared to the earnings calculator!

I’m not familiar with the device, but if it takes any standard voltages, then you might repurpose an ATX power supply, will probably power a dozen or more.

Something like this?

It seems the Odroid requires up to 2A per device.

Yes, although I was thinking of homemade adapters, but if it already exists, then use it. It looks like they’re taking the 12V rail so I assume the Odroid needs 12V, which is perfect. You can take any 12V outputs and use them, you can cut and splice the wires, use a mating connector for an adapter or you can even get rid of all the wires and solder to the PSU board directly, any of it will work. You need to pull the PS_ON (green wire) low to get the PSU to turn on, as they did with the switch on the picture. Using a PSU with a mains switch and hardwired PS_ON would be more practical.

Yeah, should be plenty with an ATX supply, any decent one will have minimum of 20A-30A on the 12V rail. Plus if the original supply is 2A, that will be peak, so it will maybe use 1.5A under full load or something. Should be able to fit many of them on one supply.

it is strongly not recomended to use one power supply to several independent devises. on PS fail all will die, also not standard thing will take longer to change.
Other thing when put several devises,thay have own ps that make small noice, and on same PS nose will summorize and make problem to all devises.

1 Like

I could get 12V 2A adapter at decent price. But I don’t have so many plugs to handle all this. The idea of having an 12V AC DC adapter with 30A. Which are usually used for CCTV. I think that is a great idea. I could just easily power up 12 oDroid without issue. 15 oDroid is max for 30A transformer. 12 is safe number. That’s gonna be my petabyte project soon!

i was just going through the payout for feb.
are we suppose to move into zksync?

You can opt-in for zksync or wait to reach the threshold.

2 Likes