How much reduction in utilization with each new storj node added?

Apologies in advance if the title is confusing, I’m not sure if that’s the best way to phrase my question…

I have some servers running at a datacenter (Leaseweb New Jersey if it helps). They all have dedicated IPv4s in the same IP block. Since the storj algorithm favors geographical diversity, I assume each storj node I were to add would be competing against each other to some degree.

In your opinion, how many storj node can I run before the increase of the overall utilization is no longer linear (Let’s say if running only 1 node it fills its hard drive in 6months, I want to stop when each node fills its hard drive in 9 months)? Are there any experiments I can do to find out?

The servers don’t have spare storage space at the moment but spare hard drive bays. I’ll need to buy some second hand drives, so I can’t just do it and see what happens.

Hello @kommie1949 and welcome!

One tool you can checkout to estimate how long it’s gonna take to fill up space is this community-made estimator:

All nodes behind a /24 subnet are all considered as one. Which means that if you’ve got 1 node behind IP a.b.c.d getting 4GB/day (e.g.), adding 1 another node as a.b.c.(d+1) would split the traffic between the two (that is 2GB/day each). Overall, you wouldn’t get anymore data.
On the other hand, if you’re able to run each node on a different /24 subnet, then you’re very lucky and each one would get full ingress traffic.

I reckon adding more nodes in different /24 subnets wouldn’t really impact your other nodes traffic wise, unless you add like hundreds of nodes…

1 Like

Very interesting! Thanks for letting me know. I think that gives me a pretty good idea.