How to block certain satellites

A friend of mine is running a graceful exit on all satellites possible because their bandwidth cap really couldn’t take Storj. Of course now the challenge is that graceful exit uses quite a bit of bandwidth itself and can’t be stopped/interrupted. So they would like to block saltlake and europe-north-1 from using this node in the mean time.

I noticed this setting in the config.yaml, but I’m not sure what the setting expects. Satellite ID’s? Domains? Domains incl ports? Space separated, comma separated?

# list of trust exclusions
# storage2.trust.exclusions: ""

So is this the correct setting to use for blocking satellites and what format is expected?

6 Likes

As far as I remember sat ID. (Similar to trusted sites)

Thanks for the response. Prior to kademlia being taken out that would have made sense, but it seems more complicated now. Trust works with a remotely hosted list now that looks like this.
https://tardigrade.io/trusted-satellites

12EayRS2V1kEsWESU9QMRseFhdxYxKicsiFmxrsLZHeLUtdps3S@us-central-1.tardigrade.io:7777
12L9ZFwhzVpuEKMUNUqkaTLGzwY9G24tbiigLiXpmZWKwmcNDDs@europe-west-1.tardigrade.io:7777
121RTSDpyNZVcEU84Ticf2L1ntiuUimbWgfATz21tuvgk3vzoA6@asia-east-1.tardigrade.io:7777
118UWpMCHzs6CvSgWd9BfFVjw5K9pZbJjkfZJexMtSkmKxvvAW@satellite.stefan-benten.de:7777
1wFTAgs9DP5RSnCqKV1eLf6N9wtk4EAtmN5DpSxcs8EjT69tGE@saltlake.tardigrade.io:7777
12rfG3sh9NCWiX3ivPjq2HtdLmbqCrvHVEzJubnzFzosMuawymB@europe-north-1.tardigrade.io:7777

So that includes both. If it were my own node I’d just trial and error it, but this isn’t a node I manage, so I prefer to have a little more certainty before I pass it on.

let the friend bring the node to you :wink:

Well, they’re pretty much on the other side of the planet, so that might be a challenge. :wink: Actually, due to the current situation, it’s impossible.

1 Like

Just tell them to put allowed amount of data to 0 and there wont be anymore ingress.

1 Like

There are satellites from which the full payment is charged. And there are satellites from which 25% will be paid.
I agree with BrightSilence that a tool is needed that will limit the work with new satellites.
We have been with the STORJ team for a year now and I do not want to expect another year before full payments

3 Likes

You can’t say you agree with me on something I didn’t say and wouldn’t agree with. If you blacklist a satellite I assume it will detect your node as offline. Which will eventually lead to disqualification. This is not meant as a tool to block satellites you want to get back to later. I specifically want to use it in this case to stop using the remaining satellites forever.

1 Like

the only trick i’m aware of is like deathlesssd suggested…
setting the max node size to 0 or 500gb to avoid ingress while running GE

only other way would be to do that and then run GE on each satellite individually…

tho might be worthwhile to simply pay for an increase in bandwidth cap to get through the GE rather than fail… ofc i’m not aware of a lot of the factors, cost vs benefit calculation

else move it to somewhere without bandwidth cap, could also be a possible tho laborious task most likely, depending on the level to tech savy he is…

or if he has a mobile with some extra monthly data cap he might throw into the mix…
but most likely the easiest option would simply to raise the bandwidth cap, even if it might cut a bit into the profit…

i suppose he could maybe limit his bandwidth… duno exactly how the network would act to that… but the minimum internet is like 25/5 mbit… which is not much… capping the speed to that might make the GE go slower and thus enable it to go into the next month’s bandwidth cap…

anyways a few of my thoughts and views on it, if you didn’t find a solution…
maybe something of it will be of use.

did you ever figure out how to blacklist a satellite?

I didn’t look into it further. Graceful exit on the most active satellites worked for my friend. So we ended up not using it.

Ah ok. Guess I’ll have to experiment with it on my smallest node.

I’m curious, what’s the use case? GE or just limiting which satellites the nodes uses?

I did GE on all customer facing satellites but since not all satellites are old enough and not all my nodes are old enough on those satellites, I need to get rid of them.
Use-case: There is a small possibility that illegal content is stored and distributed from my node. Storjlabs didn’t make it very convincing that I wouldn’t be held responsible for those, so I don’t want to take that chance and will leave all customer-facing satellites (staying on test-satellites as I assume those won’t distribute illegal content…). I know that I’m a bit weak-minded and the probability of having illegal content and getting prosecuted for it is probably lower than winning the lottery… but still, it bothered me too much, thinking about that every time I walk by my node so I chose peace of mind over 30$/month…

(btw: ended up hosting my own list of trusted satellites using the option storage2.trust.sources which was easier to set up but of course you’d need your own webserver then. got the idea from @zolbarna)

2 Likes