How to execute node binary directly?

I’m a noob for LINUX.

Due to unknown reasons, I’m not able to install docker on my tiny hardware which is using Amlogic S805 chip. Therefore I’m thinking of running the binary directly outside docker.

Refer to this thread Refer to this thread Where i can get arm binary

I successfully stripped node binary out from docker. Now I wish to execute this binary directly, wondering how should I pass all parameters to it?

Thanks in advance.

Is it board… ?

https://elinux.org/Amlogic/Boards

or an Android box?

https://androidpctv.com/firmware-update-guide-tvbox-soc-amlogic/

Do you have $35.00 USD and source for purchasing a Rasberry Pi 4 ?

I know some SNOs have had a decent run with the RPi 4s. You’ll probably spend 2 weeks configuring your S805 platform that will have lower performance than a $35.00 RPi 4…

That would be for the smallest version (2GB), but in my experience, with the 4GB version that I have, everything runs smoothly as long as disks can keep up: Up to 500MB is used by the whole system (4 nodes included), the rest being used by caches/buffers.

So I’d say 2GB is enough, but depending on if other things are going to run on it, it doesn’t hurt to get at least 4GB, especially as Linux always know what to do with more RAM to enhance response times.

But that’s just a personal opinion :slight_smile:

1 Like

It is a customized product that used to be a very simple personal NAS, the price is about 3 USD from the second-hand market.

This is the board image: https://p1.pstatp.com/large/pgc-image/1522476144656875408d70b

You can see a lot of product photos from the manufacture web site at OneCloud

I have Pi3 and Pi4, both working well as a node. However, I still prefer to use this tiny box as it comes with a nice enclosure, its internal space is able to host a 2.5’’ HDD with a little bit of DIY. In fact, I have about 20 units of this tiny box, and my friend also has a lot of this. It will be good if I’m able to run a standalone binary on it.

Running a standalone binary is just the first step, a customized script will be part two for auto-upgrade purpose. Any input will be highly appreciated.

Cheers!

Oh hey @hlbcal :stuck_out_tongue:

to run a node standalon you need to first setup the directy structure, because the binary expects it to be there when you run it. This is done by starting it with ./<binary> setup --config-dir </path/to/config/dir> --identity-dir </path/to/identity/dir>. You can omit the config and identity dir paths and it will use the default path, just not very useful when you want to run multiple nodes.
To finally run the node once you added the identity files and adjusted the config yaml to your preferences you run the binary like so: ./<binary> run --config-dir </path/to/config/dir>. Here it is very likely possible to omit the config dir again, for it to use the default config dir, but i havent verified this.

I have written my own very basic manager for similar purposes: GitHub - felixbrucker/storj-manager: A tool to run/manage multiple storj storagenodes, alpha tho

4 Likes

Hi buddy, are you Foxy? I’m Chen, ddProxy. The world is really small. I’m so glad you are good at storj, so I can DM you on Discord. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Cheers!!!

yeah, small world :stuck_out_tongue:
you can dm me on discord sure :+1:

Hi Buddy, it works like a charm! Many thanks!