How to reduce network traffic

Hi unfortunately since covid-19 my Internet is very slow.
When the node is running i can not use my internet. is there a way to limit the nodes traffic?
I don’t have an advanced firewall.

Sry for bad english.

2 Likes

Adjust the allocated space so that your node is full. That will stop all incoming traffic. The outgoing traffic should quickly fall to a very small amount. Maybe that will already help.

1 Like

This is an excellent practical scenario to argue against the recent change of removing all bandwidth parameters from the SN software stack.

If you are on GNU/Linux and docker, you might try wondershaper

1 Like

breaking the tos might not be a great suggestion

breaking tos is not a great way

Practical implementation is important… regardless of the TOS.

If Storj feels like breaking the ability of home users to use basic Internet functionality, they will need to deal with TOS “benders”…

1 Like

The op didn’t say how much is stored on the node, so how is it breaking the TOS if you do not even know this?

You can also stop the storagenode while you use the internet or edit the concurrency in config down to a low value and restart the node.
Presumably you want to keep good reputation so I think reducing your advertised space is the least impact.
If you don’t care about reputation then go for concurrency and if you don’t care at all switch off the node when you need internet and back on at night

just put max concurrent to like 14 and presto you will not kill your internet by having a shit ton of open connections thats really not used anyways.

not tinkering, no additional software required, no loss in the storagenode performance, if anything then everything will run better, even the node…, if you are still having issues then try a lower number, but at 400mbit / 400mbit i can make do with 14 concurrent, only getting 0.2% rejected, it also helps put less strain on my storagenode host. and my storj used bandwidth spikes around 120mbit but last time i tested i only had like 200mbit to the united states from here in europa… so that might be why i don’t see much higher output and my node is only barely 6 weeks so…

im running my node with 4tb of storage and there are 436GB free.
im running it in docker on unraid.
I don´t know what you mean with TOS and i don´t know how tu change the max concurrent.

TOS - Terms of Service, for Storage Node Operators (SNO) it is https://storj.io/storj-operator-terms

Per TOS…

• 4.1.4.2.1. Operate with at least 2 TB of Bandwidth available per month;
  • 4.1.4.2.2. Operate with at least 5 Mbps bandwidth upstream;
  • 4.1.4.2.3. Operate with at least 25 Mbps bandwidth downstream;

So … If an SNO decides to use a traffic shaper such as wondershaper to limit the Ethernet interface to these minimum requirements, that SNO is still within the TOS.

Correct?

However, it’s useful to note that most DSL connections will not even meet the minimum TOS requirement.

1 Like

it’s explained in the link i provided.

you shut down your node,
add the two lines to the config.yaml in your storagenode folder
i would suggest a number of 10-14 depending on how fast your connection is… either should be fine.

Yep. You risk having worse success rates though, so it’s a trade-off.

That probably depends on area. I’ve got a home connection of 40/40 and it was actually the cheapest DSL available.

1 Like

DSL speed is generally determined by the distance from the provider connection point.

1 Like

okok without covid-19 im getting 150Mbit/s down and 50 Mbit/s up but since the homeoffice started im only getting 10mbit/s down upload is still good with 30 Mbit/s also its only when all the people are online at the same time so it would be nice to limit it at the peak times.

1 Like

the bandwidth is irrelevant or partly… think of it like this…
for every equal connection open it gets a faction of the full pipeline…
so if you got 200 connections running on storj, then any connection opened meanwhile will get 1/201th of the bandwidth.

however if you run 10 connections to storj, lets say some application opens 10 connections more… then the bandwidth would be split between them, however if your application only opens 1 connection it gets 10%

so what would you do with a bandwidth limiter… put it at max 80% to storj… that leaves you only 20% for yourself and others on the network… then you could go 50/50 but then the storagenode wouldn’t get access to bandwidth when its not being used…

and if you run something like a torrent client then it will use something like 40-800+ connections basically choking out the storage node… which is why you generally want applications to run on limited connections… sure you will need some, but people often grossly overestimate how many connections are really needed.

really the only realistic and simple way to do this is limiting the connections, then anyone can take the full connection or get a nice chunk no matter the traffic already present.

else you want to use stuff like QoS, a managed switch or such things.
sure limiting your network bandwidth is a basic brute force solution, but it’s a highly inefficient way of optimizing it.

do the config.yaml thing set it to 7 if you are so worried about it and then give it a couple of days, i bet you it will work like a charm, and its so easy a fix to implement, takes a few of minutes.

1 Like
  • those running dedicated hardware… such as a RPi 4 or an old netbook
  • NAS servers running bare metal virtualization with a dedicated drive and virtual ethernet interface
  • Any unit with two network adapters can be configured to have one adapter dedicated for an SN

doesn’t really affect the rest of the network… :smiley: only the local machine…
actually you can setup load balancing across multiple network cards, can just be a pain to get to work on linux… ofc that does require the switches or cables being better than the host NIC

1 Like

It’s also good to remember that if an SNO is running an SN on some type of non-dedicated hardware and wishes to temporarily change the ethernet bandwidth… one could use a USB ethernet adapter and assign that a lower bandwidth. I was thinking about getting a USB C adapter myself for experimentation. Like this one

According to the TOS, as long as the adapter gets 5 up and 25 down, the SN is configured per terms. The ISP bandwidth may not be wide enough… but in congested networks, the SNO can’t really do much to change that…