How to run Storj Node without Docker on CentOS

Is there a way how to run Node on Linux without Docker?
I have Centos 7 [virtual machine] and from multiple reason I don’t want to have Docker installed there.
Is there package / binary available to run? Based on my research, I only found I would need to pull the binaries out of the Docker image and follow the process manually with every update. Not feasible for me.

Welcome to the forum @xsys!

Currently there aren’t any binaries for Linux so you would have to use Docker for your Linux node.

1 Like

If you want to do put some work into it you could have a look at the Dockerfile to see what it is doing, then perform those steps on your main system (with some modifications probably). This is not officially supported though.

Yes, unfortunately that goes beyond my Linux/programming knowledge… I could run a node on Centos and on Synology NAS, both without Docker only, none of them are supported for now :confused:

Docker works on CentOS - you just have to install it :slight_smile:

Docker works on Synology too. It’s even in the package center. You can install it as an official package.

Yes, the thing is it causes conflict with other tools I have running on the machine. Basically, Docker creates virtual LAN interface and my other tools start to use that one, instead of eth0 and eth1. I was not able to fix that.

It applies only to some high level models, such as RS… and DS…+, they have Intel processor. I have DS216play what does not support Docker.
I’m looking forward to announced “Native support for running a Node on Qnap, Synology…

You mean that the interface is being take or just the IP-range in CentOS?

Well, hard for me to explain, I’m not so experienced with Linux. My server has public IPv4 on eth0 and IPv6 on eth1. My app works with those two addresses and announces them for its job. When I install Docker, the app starts to use Docker’s IPv4, what something like 172.1.2.3 and begins pretending that it runs on 172.1.2.3 instead of the eth0 public IPv4.

Alright, I suppose you can configure your app to use a specific interface or IP-address?

Because you can configure docker to use other networks: