I just picked up a few New (New Old Stock) UPS

Nice!

I just picked up a few New (New Old Stock) UPS’s but now I am enamored of @hoarder’s comment about a SuperMicro 846 chassis to make it easy to add more HDDs.

4 Likes

APC should be a nice brand… was looking UPS for some datacenter math i was doing and found APC making version that required a forklift to place each battery in the UPS
lol i guess i shouldn’t be surprised, but i just hadn’t really imagined that size of UPS.

how i understood it, it was basically a shipping container size box or UPS adapter where one placed pallet sized batteries…

2 Likes

One trick I learned is that you can take a SMT1000i UPS which normally takes a 12AH battery and install the larger 22AH batteries used for the larger model (SMT1500) to get more time (nearly double). The frame is the same but you need to remove a bracket for the smaller batteries to put the larger batteries. (You don’t get the higher VA rating of course but the aftermarket batteries give you higher capacity.0

2 Likes

thats a nice trick, always nice when companies downgrade their products so diy’s can do easy and nice looking upgrades :smiley:

APC makes really solid UPS. And nice wd shucks you have there :slight_smile:

There are ofc other rackmount cases, but used Supermicro has the best value of them all. There’s a 847 variant that has 12 more drives bays on the back.

1 Like

Yeah after reading your comment I took a closer look at these cases - the 847 looks awesome. I assume I could drop in my current motherboard and then i suppose I would need a SATA/SAS HBA like a LSI Broadcom SAS 9300-8i. I like the idea of being able to easily add drives as I grow.

have a IBM one here, just a rebadged APC basically.

It calls for a RBC-7 replacement battery, which is around €239.
Which consists of 2 * 12v 17Ah CSB GP12170 batteries.
Bought 2 * 20Ah ultracell ones for 90 incl shipping, cobbled them together and it works like a charm.

Well see how long these live inside the UPS.
It gave me 20 more minutes of runtime, so thats good!

2 Likes

just a stupid question from a beginner: if there is a power cut in my entire city and I have a UPS at home, will I still have a working internet connection? Does my ISP not need electricity? Or do they usually have UPS or something similar for that case? I am especially thinking about the fiber distribution box in my street… I think that needs some kind of power supply?

Your ISP should (if they’re a decent company) have UPSs and generators to keep their infrastructure running.

2 Likes

So much for “don’t spend money running nodes”! :smiley:
(I still have a lot of spare bays on my ReadyNAS so it’ll be a LONG time before I need to consider buying another chassis, if ever)

I know, I have one of those 4U Supermicro 36 drive bay chassis and it’s a loud power hungry monster. I’m currently using my super low power (and low noise) Synology 2419+ and it’s barely audible in a silent office. I couldn’t imagine firing up that 4U Supermicro chassis in here. I also still have 3 empty drive bays available and storage is cheap these days. I could add another 36TB for under $600 if I time it right.

1 Like

You can get 3rd party batteries for a fraction of the price. I recently got a used APC Smart-UPS 1400 for £1 off Ebay and as expected the battery was dead. A replacement RBC7 was ~£55 from a reputable Ebay seller.

1 Like

Hmmmm… batteries are one of those things that can go wrong in too spectacular a way for me to risk having cheap Chinese knock-offs running 24/7 in my home.
No matter how reputable the eBay seller may be.

Not much can go wrong with sealed lead-acid batteries used in UPS units. RBCs cost so much, that you could buy double the amount of batteries you need, and these would be high quality batteries from a reputable vendor. Cheap chinese knock-offs will cost even less than that.

2 Likes

RBC-7 contain CSB brand batteries, you can easily buy it on the local seller and make “original” battery yourself (just replace elements and reuse wires) :slightly_smiling_face:

It is not only because i might keep my internet connection alive when there is a power cut.

More for not ruining my hardware due to brownouts and voltage dips/spikes.

The quality of the power that comes out of quality UPS devices is much cleaner that what one might get from a wall socket.

Here in The Netherlands we do not have much power cuts, and if they happen they are for larger areas.
Brownouts are also unlikely. maybe once a couple of years.

But that does not mean i am willing to risk my servers and other equipment.

1 Like

yeah… i don’t think i trust Ebay sellers for batteries for a UPS…

Where to go to when they explode and ruin my servers?

Rather just buy them with a normal store, which is required by law to sell good batteries.
And if the batteries decide to go thermonuclear on me i can just go back to that store.

RBC-7 specifically has the CSB GP 12170 12V 17Ah .

so you could buy these separately and join them manually.

That should be cheaper.

I checked the seller and they have a proper shop in the UK, a website and thousands of good reviews on various review sites. I still opted to buy from their Ebay shop because of the added buyer protection.

1 Like

Thanks, I know it very well, I did it with a lot of APC “cartridges” and various type of CSB batteries. It really much cheaper then buy original new “cartridges”.