I just realised how expensive object storage is also Tardigrade

For a retail Tardigrade user, who does not care at all how much node operators earn (I feel sorry for SNO guys but that is the reality for most of the Tardigrade users I guess), using Tardigrade with egress bandwidth fee is like using metered Internet line. You always have to think about the fee and be careful not to use much (avoiding Youtube/Netflix). If you forget to check the fee periodically you might be shocked by unexpected amount of fee on your Visa bill :frowning:

You have to be also very familiar with the service with which you are going to use and make sure that it is really working as you expected (how the service handles the data). @VinC FWIW I have tested Tardigrade with Nextcloud already and experienced a problem, which is why I mentioned Nextcloud/ownCloud above.

Since there is no trial already, with one mistake (no matter whose mistake it is), the amount of fee can be a disaster for users. To integrate Tardigrade with other existing services you would need a thorough testing so that you would literally not go bankrupt.

Of course that is not limited to Tardigrade, but the point is unlike other non-distributed services Storj team is practically not in position to waive the fee caused by a bug or a mistake, because users owe node operators, not the team. Since Storj team needs the node operators as well, everyone expects that the fee should be paid no matter what.

I understand you pay for what you need, like scalability, decentralization, speed, etc. but it is valid as long as you are perfectly sure that you control the stuff, able to calculate the fee rationally, and are insured against fatal error. Since you have already the stable option for privacy like Cryptomator, which encrypts your data locally to upload to cloud services, I am not really sure Tardigrade is for retail users (like AWS is not for them as well).

(By the way would you please create a new category for Tardigrade users? Currently discussion about Tardigrade is under Engineer Discussions but since the general availability it should be open for users as well, not only engineers / developers.)

1 Like