Does removing files from Nextcloud external storage folder use egress bandwidth?

Continuing the discussion from How to add Storj to Nextcloud "as external storages"?:

I noticed that on my account page the amount of egress bandwidth (download bandwidth) usage increased after removing/deleting files from Nextcloud external storage. Is this expected?

I suspect this is related with the fact that deleting files on Nextcloud moves them to trashbin rather than deleting them directly.

Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks in advance,

It looks like the issue is related with the advanced settings for external storage on Nextcloud: enable encryption. It does not make sense to enable encryption there because encryption should be executed by Storj’s gateway.

I will check again after disabling the encryption on Nextcloud.

Hi Andisers,

Without looking at the log/output, it is difficult to say what exactly is happening in this scenario, but your intuition may be correct. It seems like this movement to trashbin may be incurring another bandwidth event.

Additionally, where are you hosting the gateway?

Even just moving file between folders results in a download and a re-upload, which makes every file operation on nextcloud quite expensive… Not sure this is how aws works (as we are using the aws connector on nextcloud) or if it is something the storj gateway is doing incorrectly.

Hello, thank you for your reply.

I’d agree. I haven’t checked by myself, yet it looks like it’s not just like moving a file between folders on your computer.

I have already stopped from being involved with development there but https://github.com/jancborchardt is a passionate developer and quite open to the conversation with outside people. Maybe he could provide you some insight about this issue.

I’m hosting it on a VPS.

Regards,

also which logs do you need? I would happily provide you those :slight_smile: