I just realised how expensive object storage is also Tardigrade

That doesn’t really represent the current market. CDN’s usually don’t charge for storage at all and just charge for bandwidth. And most charge prices that aren’t that dissimilar from tardigrade egress pricing. However, when you get into bulk purchases those prices tend to drop

I would agree that Tardigrade pricing currently doesn’t support CDN like use. But I don’t think it’s that far off. The sweetsppot for tardigrade is still hot storage though. Hot storage simply means available at high speed. It doesn’t necessarily mean available at large scale like a CDN would. And it fact, right now it is not. But it’s unfair to call it cold storage. Backups are a good use case for tardigrade currently. But especially backups that need to be available fast when they need to be recovered. So things like database backups that allow for quick recovery of data when business continuity hangs on the availability of that data.

Actual cold storage would be more like glacier. Where data is cheap, but also really slow to retrieve. And that’s not what Tardigrade is.

4 Likes

Two more data points.

Wasabi costs 6 USD/TB stored/month and has no egress costs. This might be even tougher competition than B2.

Also, though this is obviously far from direct competition, you can get hosted non-redundant storage at below 2 USD/TB stored with no egress costs if you’re willing to configure bare metal machines (the entry/human time/constant costs are likely to only become competitive at petabytes of storage).

2 Likes

Note these fine points that are different from Tardigrade and B2:

• There is a minimum commitment of 1TB.

For customers that use Wasabi’s pay-as-you-go pricing model, Wasabi has a minimum monthly charge associated with 1 TB of storage ($5.99/month). If you store less than 1 TB of active storage in your account, your total charge will still be $5.99/month (plus any applicable taxes).

• Egress is free so long as your monthly egress does not exceed your monthly storage.

If your storage use case exceeds the guidelines of our free egress policy on a regular basis, we will contact you to change your pricing plan to one that involves paid egress or we may limit your egress.

• Each stored object has a minimum storage duration of 90 days; early deletions incur a prorated early deletion fee. Note that this applies when overwriting an existing object; this is considered a deletion followed by an upload.

Wasabi has a minimum storage retention policy that means if stored objects are deleted before they have been stored with Wasabi for a certain number of days, a Timed Deleted Storage charge equal to the storage charge for the remaining days will apply.

90 days (default) for customers using Wasabi’s pay-as-you-go pricing model

2 Likes

I like their offer to receive the restored data on a hd or flash drive delievered. I don’t know how well that works, but the idea is amazing and much better than downloading terabytes of data when needed.
However on the pricing I have not found any information on bandwidth limitation. Where do they state that?

1 Like

Do you know what are the egress costs of Wasabi then?

Not sure whether they state it anywhere. People reported over reddit that after getting multiple terabytes there, the ingress becomes limited. And the only online restore option is limited to up to 500GB zip files.

1 Like

Wasabi has no egress costs.

1 Like

hmmm…

4 Likes

Ah, point taken. Good on @cdhowie for pointing out the fine print.

Still I find it notable that for the original poster Wasabi’s pricing model would be a perfect fit, regardless of the premium for egress.

2 Likes

I use BackBlaze B2 for backups. They have 1GB per day download free which is enough for duplicati to verify a small piece of the backup without triggering payment. But I only use 300GB.

7 posts were split to a new topic: Why you do not have stake tokens?

Exactly what BrightSilence said.
Consider the household connection of lets say 1000/500 for lets say 99$/moth is able to do 162TB/mo that’s 3240$ for single node, if it’s maxed, so the price can go way down. Lets say i have 1000/100 in my home, i would be super happy if i can get 320$ for that, that means 10$ for 1 TB for SNO. Shu i cant really complain if i get even 150$ for maxing the 100 upload! can i? and thats mean 5$/1Tb for SNO.

I would add one thing. Storj, just let those who might fall into categorie of higher volume, that We will do everything in our power to make sure we can fit theirs need.

In my view, the problem in the world is lack of care, why won’t let the customer feel absolutely sure he is in good caring hands, and We can make our code especially for him, if theres a need. Serious projects care all about reliability, not just the system, but the people, will people with who we cooperate are willing to do absolutely best what they can to keep things as efficient as possible, instant replays, instant reaction if problems occurs, they want to know You are as serious as they are, that You care as much as they care about theirs project. I would like it to be visible form the moment customers sees the price, that We are willing to cooperate as close as possible, not another service - customer relation, more like a familly, like familly doing business together.

To better explain it, for example, Its not just our service, and they are customers, and they can use it, and if it doesn’t match in some points to their needs, then too bad, coz we offer just that, and if it doesnt fit You? then well, were sorry, cant help You. Instead what i strongly emphasize is the attitude: Lets make them feel theirs needs have real influence upon the shape of the service. They need, we respond, and adapt so it can be meet. let it be reflected in marketing on the welcome page, i dont know, mayby here is a space for that: https://imgur.com/a/s2pHMDL

If You are really ready for that and mean that, Just let them know, were ready to care as they do.

Whys that?
I can refer the great discovery that people have only 2 fears, that holds them from buying.

1. If this meets my needs
  2. if iam paying the best price

remove it, and customers will come in mass.
How to remove those fears?
The literature shows example of Wallmart, they

1. Guaranteed the customer can always return product (in 60 days or so), and get full refund
  2. They guaranteed if customer finds the product somewhere else cheaper, they will refund the difference.
    Wallmart was scheduled to be the 1st company in the world to get past 1B in revenue, or 1T (dont remember) and it was about to hit that, but then amazon happens. And lets hope, now Storj happens to amazon.

Hmm excuse me, but even if its cold storage and thus cheaper to maintain, how a company with a datacenter can survive with one-time plan lifetime and no additional fees if they don’t get new customers after a period of time? Who will pay the bandwidth, the storage, electricity… Another web opportunies are doing exactly the same thing, and that’s even illegal; that’s the ponzi scheme. In fine, the new customers are paying for the first one to maintain the heart in activity. In that marketing process, they rely on their business customers to pay the bill. I wouldn’t trust “lifetime” plans (which is actually the lifetime of the company or the actual contract they could edit and break, and centralized cloud storages are about to die in longterm hopefully because its the grandpa of the Internet).

I’m curious to see how many months it will survive before that promotion disappears, and how many times they keep their engagement before it dies and customers complain. But its a promotion, its not intended to be something permanent, and it probably couldn’t be. Also, they say in their Q&A its limited to 4go file size maximum, otherwise you have to pay a “upgrade” in your account, without giving the price. That’s a bit dishonest.

Just found a bad experience in a comment to confirm the high risk of “unlimited” “lifetime” marketing things:

I lost my CrashPlan subscription with unlimited storage after they decided they only wanted business customers. In my option, it’s far better to stick with Google Drive, OneDrive or iCloud.

At least, Tardigrade is a much more solid economic-plan, and at my knowledge, they don’t hide informations about odd limitations in a Q&A or docs, like “Oh, if you download your data 10 times, it’s locked down and you’ll have to upgrade your account.” Everybody loves the upgrades you just discover after your plan-subscribing. Just kidding.

yeah it’s basically advertisement to get more customers and unsustainable… either they plan to squeeze the customers else where or they just want enough users to help get more market share… or they plan to go belly up inside a set period and thus lifetime subscriptions are a joke.

if tardigrade is economical or not i cannot say… i suppose it depends a lot on the use case…

The proper way for setting up any “lifetime” services is so that the initial cost of a service like that is spent by the company to buy an annuity that would cover all periodical maintenance costs. Obviously no tech startup bothers with that.

1 Like

Yes, indeed, but I was not sure this company is able to take in charge that insurance (this is not a so big company I think, the risk is quite real). Anyway, this is a “special” offer which could disappear quite fast in some months, and it could be in short term a way to promote their services and create a buzz (which could work, like “don’t buy a hard drive, just use the cloud!”. As I read earlier, they already changed their mind with a “unlimited” plan, which shows a very bad image of the company.

I’ll be curious to see how the things will evolve, but it’s a bit “too good to be true” (for “lifetime”), I don’t have a full trust toward this company.

But sorry for that discussion, I was thinking about the removal of my comment because its a bit out of context, even if it counts in the study of the market for Storj. I would like also some plans for personal backup in Storj, and as S.N.O., have the ability to check a option to accept pieces less paid for storage and bandwidth for store customers for personal use case (I’ll do another subject for this because I think it could be good idea).

1 Like

I recall there was one file hosting service that used to offer a “forever” data storage in this way, stating in their marketing documents that that’s exactly what they were doing. It turned out to be too expensive though (IIRC equivalent to what a normal hosting service would take for 10-20 years of storage).

1 Like

A post was merged into an existing topic: Different classes of storagenodes

yeah its a good marketing thing, until you get enough customers… then its just a big burden…
i had this webhost at one point where i built a site using … a drupal distribution… or some such thing… then i build in backup into the website so it would backup itself onto the webhost drive, which was fine… but i kinda missed that the backup got backuped and then it would all get backuped… took a while before they started writing me… because it was kinda growing exponentially … but hey i had unlimited space… what was the deal lol

1 Like