Identity generation, token generation

Identity generation is too difficult now
The latest version of v0.26.3 I use
Difficulty factor 36
It’s been 34. It’s hard to reach 36
I want to know
If the identity is generated
Can multiple tokens generate 6 key files here?
Otherwise, it’s hard to generate identity every time

:pensive:

Its a matter of luck so why don’t you let it finish.

So now I want to know
If the identity is generated
Can multiple tokens generate 6 key files here?
Otherwise, it’s hard to generate identity every time

When identity is generated it will show the message on the screen as shown in documentation
You will have to take backup of your identity to create another identity or give location of another folder with <executable in linux/windows> authorize storagenode <auth-token> --identity-dir <drive letter>

You would have to generate identity for every node the same way. It will take variable time to generate it. Alternatively you can use flag batch-generate (I haven’t used it so you might have to test it)

PS: Remember to take backup of identity after its created. If you lose your identity you lose your node

I spent abou 20-30min for identity generation with difficult 36 on 4 core CPU.
@pony I look into your screenshot and see that you are using dual cpu motherboard, you can try
--concurrency 12 or 24 (default concurrency is 4)

1 Like

How can I use it?
What are the commands under windows?
Forgive me for being a programming idiot. I don’t know how to input commands
I just copied the official documents directly
Thank you for your advice

@Odmin

1 Like

Here is example:
./identity_windows_amd64.exe create storagenode --concurrency 12

ok, thank you very much
@Odmin

For what it’s worth this is precisely the intention of this process. It’s meant to prevent people from quickly spinning up lots of nodes.

3 Likes

This is gold! I knew there was a reason to get a 16 core CPU after all.

2024, difficulty 36 - Now it’s too easy to generate the identity on the newer CPUs. Only this year I generated 10 identities, on Ryzen 3600 and 5500U. Time was anywere between 5 sec and 45 min, but most of them were in under 5 min.
Maybe would be better to increase the difficulty to 40?
Maybe devs can provide a Test Generator for which we can set different difficulties, let us test them and report back, just to get some numbers. Than they can decide what would be a better diff for now. I believe the time for generation should be somewere between 2 and 12 hours for an 8 core, or maybe more. We don’t need Raspies and low spec SOCs to generate identities. We must consider only high-end CPUs. One malintended will most likely use a verry powerfull CPU.

Test report should look like:

• system OS type and ver.
  • system RAM in GiB
  • system drive type (HDD, SSD, NVMe)
  • system CPU model
  • number of cores used by generator
  • difficulty 38 - test 1 time…, test 2 time…, test 3 time…, test 4 time…, test 5 time…
  • difficulty 40 - test 1 time…, test 2 time…, test 3 time…, test 4 time…, test 5 time…
  • difficulty …

Test Generator should let us choose:

• the start difficulty
  • the stop difficulty
  • the number of runs for each difficulty
  • the number of cores used
  • the path to the log file.

and record on each line in the log something like:
date time - diff 38 - test 1 run time: hh:mm:ss
date time - diff 38 - test 2 run time: hh:mm:ss

Maybe at the begining of the log file it could record also the system specs mentioned before, just to make it a full report ready to be sent to Storj team.

This is to prevent the several attack vectors (by making them too expensive to execute).
However, I’ve passed this to the team, thanks!

1 Like