Impact of internet speed

there is a metadata in files.

In germany the payout per year is relevant for the taxes. And you need that info.
You can get it from L1 but NOT from zksync lite.
The payout in dollars when payed. Not the worth of the tokens after that.

And yes you can get in trouble even there is an free Limit you not fully use, since its income and has to be announced in the tax formulars.

You can’t rely on what your node reports for tax purposes. You need to ask storj (accounting@storj.io) to send you a statement, similar to 1099 for US folks, of how much did they pay you last year.

This is the only way to get accurate corroboratable data: from the entity that paid you, not some piece of software running on your own system that estimates how much you should have been paid.

And then you still need to track STORJ price from the moment your earnings are calculated, through the point tokens hit your wallet, all through the point you sell them, to compute capital gain/losses.

All for $50 worth of income.

This is considered “undue burden” and you are not expected to do that. Nobody will spend hours of their time to justify couple of bucks of income.

And no, you won’t get in trouble if you are off couple of bucks on an income that is not reported anywhere and nobody else but you knows about.

You read the german laws i guess?
But the L1 Chain knows.

Its not about gain/ losses what you can esy avoid by holding the eth or storj for 1 year+
Its about INCOME (you noted yourself storj pays SNO)

doesn’t mater how much it is, to get in trouble for not announcing.
others make 600/Month

its actualy pretty easy. just add the worth ofmax 12 payouts of last year at the time they arrived in the wallet.

Lets say you collect 5y of storj, send them to the exchange who KYC ed you, cash out to your bank acc.
All easy to track down to you, and after 5y of doing nothing the officials ask where this comes from at the exchange. Software/possibility for that is already existent and its only the question when the officials start to use them. IF its more than 10000 the red lights flash at your bank automaticaly.

Worth a read?

1 Like

I understand what you are saying, but my point still stands: you need paperwork from Storj.

If you are audited — you can’t say “hey here is what some software that I run on my PC told me I earned”. You need documentation from the payer.

And hence, your point that you need local databases for tax purposes is moot.

I meant $50 worth of errors estimating income. But it applies both ways.

Of course I’m not an expert on German tax code but I believe common sense prevails.

actualy you can. there is software for that. thats what blockpit (link) does.

No, here the law prevails.

1 Like

I’m talking about a node. You can modify node software to write anything you want to database. It’s not a proof in case of an audit.

Laws are written by sane people. The law won’t tell you to spend 20 hours of your time accounting for every penny to report $51.75.

Either you are audited, and then you need proof of payment. Such as wallet transactions or statement from storj. Or you are not.

Either case storagenode keeping databases has no bearing on your reporting requirements and vise versa.

If that is not clear yet, you could fabricate database to show any income. You need data from third party who paid you to satisfy auditors.

they wil just ask about your wallet adress, and can read everything online. And you have to give it to them, they can obtain the adress even via the exchange to check if its true.

audits go for five years backwards. so you better not lie or give everything in advance.
otherwise you can get fined.

if they see there is a bit income under the free limit, they wont bother anyway. if there pops up income surprisingly, they will dig deeper. databases are enough to give a good estimate about the income. 51,75=52.

in conclusion if you have no blockchain data (zksync lite) and no databases, an automatic email with the uprounded income per year from storj would be enough.

Exactly, and so do you. What do you need local databases for?

Why do think it’ impossible to get from zksys lite? You can see all transactions in the explorer – amount, fees, date, etc. This is literally how I figured out my income for my taxes last year :slight_smile:

You do have blockchain data, but this nevertheless would be actually a great idea to sent to all customers: “Dear John, in 2023 you have earned $50.93. Congratulations, and thank you for staying with us”. This might not be enough though, because you still need to go through the exercise of determining capital gains, from vesting to sale, because you get tokens, not USD. You still need to peruse blockchain history and determine all of that.

right now you need to stop the node and remove them all.

But they will be recreated. I meant a switch to make them off for good, to not be recreated ar all. Or a part of them that you don’t need. I will make a propotision to see the interest in this.

Actually not the only one. You may lean on blockchain, it’s a permanent storage, so you may request and calculate how much it was worth on sent date. For L1 I usually uses ethplorer.io, it’s very precise on that. But for L2 you would need to use sources as Storj price today, STORJ to USD live price, marketcap and chart | CoinMarketCap to use rate on the sent date, or use your local databases (if you does not throws away your databases every time :wink: ), they contain an USD value of your payout.

The proof would be a blockchain. It’s even more reliable and auditable than your bank account transactions.

To be honest, I wouldn’t be so sure…

2 Likes

:rofl:

Though, my jurisdiction is actually pretty good in this regard. They do not consider cryptocurrencies as money, they consider it as goods. This makes the exchange (storage service for cryptocurrencies) a barter trade, and hence the what counts is the contract value, which is essentially the original USD numbers that Storj use (under assumption that the services/goods exchanged are of roughly similar value, which is a good assumption here). So whatever numbers are accounted by satellites are the right numbers, volatility of token price is accepted as natural like with any goods, and a simple cross-check with an exchange regarding token value is accepted as long as good-enough proof of value.

If value of a cryptocurrency changes before I get to sell it, it’s accounted separately, the same way as stocks and such. This is more difficult, but it’s actually independent of the contract with Storj Inc. It does help to make the trade the same day, though, as then it’s simple to argue that the value I sold tokens for is likely the value Storj used as well.

An email from Storj would make the last part actually more difficult :stuck_out_tongue:

Not a lawyer, that’s what I got told by my accountant.

2 Likes

in our country we have much better system, i have to pay tax only when i withdraw it to my bank account to use, from this amount i need to pay. this is much better for people.

1 Like

So you pay tax from revenue, not profit? And you don’t pay tax on amounts you spent as cryptocurrencies, without withdrawing it to your bank?

yes, something like this, they cant control it but i thin we will get there some day.

1 Like