Installation Storj on Freenas v11.2 x64 U8 - error

Hello,

I’m trying to install Storj on my Freenas server v11.2.U8 (x64), I upgraded from FreeNAS v9.x
I followed this (nice) installation manual Getting started with Storj V3 on FreeNAS (freeBSD).
However, I have a problem at the second last step “Compile Storj from Source”.

I think the compilation does not seem to be finished. Any suggestions?
Do I need to use FreeNAS v11.2 U3?

Thank you for your help

To be more precisely, I have problem when I try to install package bootstrap, gateway and storagrenade

Sorry, don’t know about uncompiled software but have to laugh at storagrenade! LOL
Welcome to the forum.

1 Like

Hello @bbr ,
Welcome to the forum!
This tutorial how to setup a storj-sim to have a small test network. Since you want to install a storagenode, this tutorial will not help to do so. This tutorial for developers.
I’ll move to the Storage Node Operators category.

1 Like

You will need to generate an identity and sign it with authorization token beforehand: Identity - Storj
The overall process is:

1. download pre-build binary from there: Releases · storj/storj · GitHub
  2. generate and sign identity: Identity - Storj
  3. setup the storagenode with storagenode setup (you can run storagenode setup --help to see what options should be specified),
  4. then storagenode run to start it.

You also need to create a service for the storagenode to run it after reboot.
I can suggest you to take a look on these threads, they could help: Topics tagged freebsd

1 Like

Hello Alexey,

Thank you for your help.
So I can use these compiled binaries on any version of FreeNAS / TrueNAS directly?

Regards,

On any FreeBSD x86 version, yes.
It’s not designed for FreeNAS/TrueNAS specifically, but it can be run on FreeBSD.

1 Like

Thanks for your reply.
OK I understand it’s not a FreeNAS/TrueNAS plugin, but can I execute binaries inside a jail using FreeNAS (freebsd) version.

I’ll try.

Thanks you!

thanks you Storgeez :slight_smile:

You can use it inside a jail, yes, I’m running it in one. You have to install some certificate package as well though. They don’t have a guide for FreeNAS yet.

1 Like

Hello Alexey,

Thank you once again for your help, I was able to set and run like your instructions.
I can see information about file uploaded ou deleted, downloaded, but how I can get dashboard to check and monitor my Storj data node?

I try to connect Node Dashboard with ip-address::14002 but I have nothing.

Thank you for your help

Best regards,

For that you need to configure your storagenode to listen on any IP (or specific IP) rather than localhost (the default).
Edit config.yaml and uncomment/add line:

console.address: :14002

Save the config and restart the storagenode.

1 Like

Hello,

Thank you Alexey :wink:

I tried using http://192.168.1.118:14002 from another machine and i got refused connexion.

Also any thing to do about this alert? I tried commabd specified in documentation but it’s not reconized by freebsd.

Maybe I need to do an action (as to open) port 14002 in os freebsd?

Port needs to be open in the firewall (locally), yes., to access over the network. Opening it towards the Internet is not advised.

The buffer error is due to new UDP feature, it will be addressed by Storj soon, everyone has these.

1 Like

If you doesn’t have a firewall there, make sure, that you specified the address and port for the dashboard in the config file or via option --console.address=:14002

Note, that

# Dashboard address and port
console.address: :14002

is equivalent of

# Dashboard address and port
console.address: 0.0.0.0:14002

If you changed the config, you need to restart the storagenode to apply the changes.

By default it want to listen only on 127.0.0.1
You also can use a remote access: How to remote access the web dashboard - Storj Docs

1 Like

Alexey,

Everything is OK now, thank you!
Also, what do you think about this solution to install docker in FreeBSD.

Install docker on FreeBSD – Linux Hint

Best regards,

Thank @Storgeez for this detail. :wink:

1 Like

@Odmin tried to use a docker on FreeBSD, he could share his experience with it.

2 Likes

I tried using docker on FreeBSD, but with no success, the docker version that available for FreeBSD is completely out of date and unusable with modern docker infrastructure (docker hub). Please not spent time on it, just use jails on FreeBSD.

2 Likes