Interesting comparison between Golem and Storj

And what about VMware Player? VMware VMs are so far i understand the only working ones because their feature ‘Nested Virtualization’ is needed to run a VM inside another VM.

Yes VMware player also works.

anyone have any luck with ESXi? I tried Ubuntu 20.04 under 6.5 but I’m not having any luck so far.
Proxmox was trivial by comparison.

There are some posts from people using ESXi in the Discord forum. Join the forum and ask them how they have done the setup. (I’m using Debian under VMware, works)

I’ve got her up and running. yay. i was already on the discord but it isn’t a medium I particularly like. Anyway, she is off and running. 8 threads and 32GB this time and another 32GB in the post that should arrive in the new year.

There seems to be a probably with Golem…

My server was churning away during Christmas. However, I didn’t seem to be getting any tokens. So, I stopped the golem service and checked the databases:

sqlite3 -column -header ~/.local/share/yagna/payment.db "select sum(total_amount_due) as 'Unpaid Work' from pay_agreement where total_amount_paid='0';"

Unpaid work seems to be a big problem:

Unpaid Work     
----------------

So far, I’ve only been paid 0.31 GLM, but am owed 5.39 GLM… I have a few “breaking agreement” errors listed in my logs. But not enough to account for 5.39 GLM …

The golem service does not run on chain. So, it’s a simple algorithm that controls the automated tasking of work. There doesn’t seem to be any assured payment for processor time.

And thus ends my foray into golem.

I’ll wait until there’s a smart contract version running on polygon or some other chain. An escrow of some sort for processor time use is a definite must. Until then…

Storj wins the shared computing resource system. I’ve never needed to worry about not getting paid for resources used by this project. Double and triple paid in many cases… but never unpaid.

1 Like

yeah same for me about 4glm unpaid work

I’ve raised this in the discord. Will be interesting to see the reply. For my own nodes the ratio of paid to unpaid is more than 10x.

Proposal for modified payment system : GolemProject (reddit.com)

Looks to me like they’re not production ready…

@SGC made a good point about the sustainability of the microtransactions. If you dig into the cost of the microtransaction it still represents 50% of the total value. That’s highly undesirable and likely unviable in the longer term.

they certainly still have problems, is also still a beta project, but was doing very impressive during the start of the month after they updated to v0.9.0 or was it v0.8.0 :smiley:

1 Like

Reading through that Reddit thread… it’s humorous to consider that they’ll probably come up with some partially centralized system similar to Storj… or a pre-funded wallet system similar to Sia.

Re-inventing the wheel is what tech people do best. I definitely do that myself…

Not Storj related. Closing.

3 Likes