Interesting what datacenter is down?

its true, but we can marginalize it.
And yes:

Because if Your a whale and got decommissioned, post server, 5 years old HDDs, which i don’t believe they are for free, but even if, you can sell them, or You can use them with STORJ.
Those are most often enterprise grade HDDs, they can work +5 to 7 years easy.
Normal people haven’t got this advantage.
Normal people got some average HDDs for home end user, with a lot less durability by design.
You have to earn enough in the project for the value of the HDD at minimum, before it dies.
it can take 2-3 years of a node operation to cover just costs. Whales can afford that.
Normal home people can’t. So in current model, it discourages normal people to join STORJ, coz reward is too low. And whales still finds ways to operate and profit.

This is bad for node decentralization, if you can’t join a network with 1 hard drive, you have, say, 6 TB or 4 TB to make sense for you.

That’s why i proposed a concept, where normal people with average HDDs could get return under 1 year, or even in months! Whale’s will still be present, but this will raise the number of home SNOs joining, and increase decentralization at same time.

A concept, where download of a content is very cheap and STILL nodes earn more than now, and STORJ inc. earns more than now! And STORJ will stop being just a cold storage!
It can make STORJ a global revolution, not just a curiosity, they are afraid to trust. if the price is low enough, the temptation is just too strong. And I’ve shown that it can work for everyone, as long as customers agree.