Is it possible to host own STORJ environment on VM

Hi Developers,

I want to host Storj on own vm on testnet or private net with role based access and web interface like STORJ have is it possible ?

please help any help will be appreciated.

Hey @akash30122002, welcome to the community. I’m not entirely sure I understood your exact requirements, but might this be what you’re looking for? Test network · storj/storj Wiki · GitHub

Thanks for replaying @BrightSilence actually i want to deploy storj protocol on own VM means i can access GUI, files from my own ip or domain is it possible ? (Same SORJ features but in own domain and server)
Example- to join solana blockchain on our own platform we create a VM and deploy the application and join the blockchain

The standard GUI you are referring to is hosted on the satellites / Storj managed gateway-mt. You can probably only get that if you run your own satellite, which basically means you run a completely separate network. I’m still not entirely sure if that is your intention or not. Running your own satellite can be done, but it probably requires quite a bit of customization, there is currently limited documentation on this and you’d have to get your own storage nodes to join as well.

Maybe I’m getting too stuck on you calling it a testnet. If you want to provide access to files using your own domain or ip for files on existing satellites, you could also use a self hosted gateway-st. This comes with a minio web UI as well. It won’t be exactly the same as on the satellite, but it might be what you are looking for. More info here: Self-hosted S3 Compatible Gateway | Storj Docs

2 Likes

Okey lets assume i have created an account on storj where i get a GUI so i can create bucket and upload files etc and also i can create permission like IAM is there any possibilities that i can use storj satellites/nodes but the uplink if imm sure the UI i can host it on my ip or domain ?

Mean if i can use Storj network as backend? for create a same application like storj.

Yes you can definitely do this. The gateway-st provides an S3 compatible API for this specific purpose. As for access management and the details for that, I’m going to have to defer to someone else as I’ve not really dealt with that part on my end yet. Perhaps someone with more experience with that could help.

Alternatively if you’re planning on building your own application, you could use native uplink libraries which for sure will provide all the features you require to create and manage access grants and provide access. But it doesn’t come with an out of the box GUI, so you would have to build something for that in your application. See here: SDKs - Storj Docs
The same features are also available with the uplink CLI binary: Using the Uplink CLI - Storj Docs

2 Likes

Thanks a lot @BrightSilence please refer someone for IAM

Thanks again

Access Management on Storj is implemented through Access Grants. More info is available in our documentation: Access Management | Storj Docs

I think the question was specifically for how access could be managed for the gateway-st. So far I’ve always used it with a single access grant only. Is it possible to have multiple users using different access grants through the gateway-st?

2 Likes

Exactly that is @BrightSilence @kaloyan
Please help

No, it’s not possible. The Gateway-ST instance is tied with the used access grant. But you can run as much instances with different access grants as you want.

@akash30122002
For what you want you need to host an own Gateway-MT and auth service, but I do not know, why do you need that?
Why do no use an existing hosted service? It costs nothing for you.
To dynamically share files, buckets and prefixes without Gateway-MT you can use Sharing Your First Object | Storj Docs guide.

If you want to build a completely separate network with your own satellite, own nodes network, gateway-mt, auth and linkshare services - you can do it. Our GitHub repo Storj · GitHub is ready to explore.
The start point would be definitely a Test network · storj/storj Wiki · GitHub
Then you can add other services to there.
We do not have a comprehensive documentation how to do it step-by-step, so it would be your research at the moment.

Just note - your network will be a separate network, i.e. no existing nodes will join, unless you attract them with good pricing for example. But your satellites will not be advertised or trusted automatically.

3 Likes

How can i host an own Gateway-MT please refer me doc

As @Alexey mentioned above:

The test network has it’s own gateway:

I got your point @Alexey and thanks for help
one more help can we use gateway-st for data archiving use case ? if yes how

Yes, you can.

1. Setup gateway-st
  2. Use any of these backup solutions (they can work without S3 gateway too, if you choose to configure the native integration):
    2.1. Backup With Duplicati | Storj Docs
    2.2. Rclone with Hosted Gateway | Storj Docs (you actually would use your Access key, Secret Key and endpoint from the self-hosted s3 gateway, the endpoint would be http://localhost:7777 (configurable)).
    2.3. Backup With Restic | Storj Docs
    2.4. FileZilla PRO with s3 configuration (or you can use a free version FileZilla Native Integration | Storj Docs)
    2.5. You can also use the integrated web UI of self-hosted s3 gateway directly, just open the endpoint in your browser.
    2.6. Use rclone mount to mount your bucket to the local filesystem and use it as a disk (faster than s3fs below).
    2.7. Mount a bucket via s3fs and use it as a disk.

This is incomplete list. You can try to use any s3-compatible backup solution too, they should work. I would recommend to specify a chunk/block/etc. size to 60MB to improve speed.

Please note - the self-hosted s3 gateway doesn’t provide https out-of-box, so if you need a TLS security, you should take care of it with a reverse proxy for example.

See also Host a Static Website | Storj Docs maybe it could be relevant to your initial request (because it’s still not clear what do you want to do).

2 Likes

I want to access it using public ip on AWS VM but the webser says the server is too busy please help can’t establish a connection to the server at xx.xx.xx.xx

Yes, because you should use either a reverse proxy with public IP or change the gateway’s binding from 127.0.0.1 to a specific interface (public for example) or use 0.0.0.0 to bind to any interface.

However, please note - it’s not secure, you will have http only!