Is it possible to retrieve a node ID?

Hi everyone, unfortunately I had a problem with the SSD of my PC and all the data including that of the node was lost, is there a way to restore the node (I know the node ID) to continue using it?

This will result in your node being disqualified which is permanent.

No. You would have to start fresh with a new node id and new auth token just the way you started this node from scratch.

1 Like

and all the data stored in my hard drive that I use for the node, should I delete it?

maybe you have a backup of the OS drive somewhere?
i assume yes. nodedata is useless without identity, and vice versa.

What does this data contain ? Is it node’s identity ?

sorry if I’ve been unclear, since I have to start over, do I have to format the node with 6.8 TB of data?

Did you lose node’s identity or node’s data ? The node’s data is in storage folder while identity is in storagenode\identity.

What is this 6.8TB of data about ? You said :point_down:

Losing either node’s identity or node’s data will disqualify your node which is why its suggested to backup node’s identity.

thanks for the reply

To be clear: to restore your node if it’s not disqualified yet, you need:

1. Its identity folder with 6 files in it. If you followed the guide, you should have a backup of this identity and also copy on your disk with data (this is the recommended way because you need both the identity and its data, so it is recommended to store them on the same drive for portability and to avoid problems like this)
  2. Its data

If you have both - you may just run it with your usual docker run command or install the Windows GUI version and point it to the identity and its data.

1 Like

are these the 6 files needed to restore the node?

Indeed, if you also have the data on that disk then your node has survived. Then you don’t need to restart from scratch. In that case also don’t forget the disk, but just ask someone hoe to recover the node on Windows.

1 Like

Thank you all for your help the node has been restored, after having reinstalled everything from the beginning I replaced the 6 identity files that I had as a backup in another hard disk

2 Likes