Is satellite.stefan-benten.de deleting data?

Hello,

SN Dashboard of my nodes show a decrease in used disk space for Stefan’s satellite and remaining disk space has increased during last hours, but I cannot find the piecedeleter lines in the logs corresponding to this satellite. Is anyone experiencing something simmilar?

I understand that Stefan is deleting a lot of data - garbage collection so nothing to be concerned about.

I’m seeing the exact same thing. Believe stuberman’s answer is correct.

It’s garbage collection, so that’s why you’re not seeing delete lines. Zombie segments were cleaned up on the satellite end, which triggers garbage collection to clean up the corresponding pieces on our nodes. This is a big one though, so strap in. It might take a while.

Btw, if you turn on debug logging you would see it doing its thing. But I only advise doing that when actually trying to debug something.

Lots of these:

2020-06-18T20:59:41.383Z        DEBUG   retain  About to delete piece id        {"Satellite ID": "118UWpMCHzs6CvSgWd9BfFVjw5K9pZbJjkfZJexMtSkmKxvvAW", "Piece ID": "G3JC4E5P7BLMYBPL2Q37TBZSJZYZ6O36VP5TUS7DTZBYEMUJWVOQ", "Status": "enabled"}
2020-06-18T20:59:41.876Z        DEBUG   retain  About to delete piece id        {"Satellite ID": "118UWpMCHzs6CvSgWd9BfFVjw5K9pZbJjkfZJexMtSkmKxvvAW", "Piece ID": "G3JGG3SEKQJXOR76DBAYZOMXYNQZFQX4URZ66QJS5BF55BZTXWSQ", "Status": "enabled"}
2020-06-18T20:59:42.398Z        DEBUG   retain  About to delete piece id        {"Satellite ID": "118UWpMCHzs6CvSgWd9BfFVjw5K9pZbJjkfZJexMtSkmKxvvAW", "Piece ID": "G3JHY67F3FZZMZRNB4NWZDZ7ID7SH4LSVCH37WQIAS4KXDGHPFWQ", "Status": "enabled"}
2020-06-18T20:59:42.675Z        DEBUG   retain  About to delete piece id        {"Satellite ID": "118UWpMCHzs6CvSgWd9BfFVjw5K9pZbJjkfZJexMtSkmKxvvAW", "Piece ID": "G3JK7OKXJHGACNZXNE5PYDYRFV3SLCXQUJ3J3FS6KKZKOGFEFOMA", "Status": "enabled"}
2020-06-18T20:59:42.781Z        DEBUG   retain  About to delete piece id        {"Satellite ID": "118UWpMCHzs6CvSgWd9BfFVjw5K9pZbJjkfZJexMtSkmKxvvAW", "Piece ID": "G3JNDIH4W4KBMPQJHTP7AGUGUHKT47DSBMHCXKTLUP2OVN26MHEQ", "Status": "enabled"}
2020-06-18T20:59:42.908Z        DEBUG   retain  About to delete piece id        {"Satellite ID": "118UWpMCHzs6CvSgWd9BfFVjw5K9pZbJjkfZJexMtSkmKxvvAW", "Piece ID": "G3JQ22M32ZKVRALKGZFPLGUZVGZV3OTEHNZF6RM5TTPKO44OZMXQ", "Status": "enabled"}
3 Likes

wooow over 300Gb of garbage were filling my SN!!
Thanks for the details!

From what I can tell it only turned into garbage when the segments were cleaned up on the satellite. I think they would have been paid until that point. So it depends on what you call garbage. :slight_smile:
Chances are your node is still working on it though. Mine is at about 20% done with it after 16 hours of processing.

Now I understand why the GE started on my oldest node finished this morning. Last night it was around 46% of progress after 10 days… and this morning it was finished! Really surprising.

I wish Storj confirmed this satellite wont be used for test anymore.

From the sudden drop in traffic, I suspect they may well reduce the amount of testing significantly and focus more on production data.
This is an interesting time for Storj in that they need to start acquiring paying customers but at the same time find ways of keeping SNOs interested enough to avoid a mass node churn.
This is not a cheap time for Storj, I suspect, and I wish them all the luck. The coolness factor of being able to “host the Cloud” in my home is phenomenal and I hope this takes off :slight_smile:

4 Likes

How do you see progress of garbage collection? Or is this info only accessible via debug mode?

Yes, you see the piece IDs in my example? It goes through them in alphabetical order. Letters first then numbers. It’s almost done with G there, that’s 7 out of 36 total. So about 20%.

1 Like

I hope you’re right but I wouldn’t count on it. Testing has paused in the past. My node is still seeing a lot of uploads from Germany even though I’m located in the US. Seems like they are testing small files.

1 Like

My Stefan-Benten blobs folder (the one that starts with abfor) now has about 16GB of data and it is holding steady for now. My Stefan trash folder has about 138GB of files inside it.

The fast majority is being deleted for me as well. It’s still going, but I can see from the folders it has already processed that at least 90% is being deleted.