Is storj only for files or can I run a VPS or something similar on Storj?

Hi,

I’m stj, a very nice and polite guy.

Is storj only for files or can I run a VPS or something similar on Storj?

I suppose you could use something like s3blkdev in order to get a block device from S3. Booting a VPS from that should be… possible?

That is interesting.

I wouldnt try to run an OS from a cloud provider it would be terrible performance, Its gonna be worse then rust spinning devices and latency will be really bad.

Storj is only for storing files in an S3 compatible way. You would have to get a server from another service to run softwares (which then could access needed files from Storj, if you were to store some of the data on Storj).

3 Likes

You may also host a static website: Web Hosting - Storj DCS Docs

Am I allowed to use s3blkdev or a similar solution on Storj?

You can certainly try it. There are no rules about what apps you can use with Storj. Feel free to test it and let us know how it worked for you.

2 Likes

Sounds interesting. I am testing Storj now and so far I kind of like it. I haven’t installed any apps here before, I thought it was mostly for file storage. So how do I install apps?

It is S3 compatible distributed object (files) storage. There is no host OS or apps that can be run “on” it. But you can use apps with it that connect to storage, such as s3blkdev. But you would run that on your own OS. Not on Storj.

1 Like