Is there a dropbox like tool for storj

Im looking for a cross platform sync tool.

Storj is primarily aimed at developers who could build a drop box like service on top of it. Similar to Amazon S3 or Azure Blob storage.

However, there is quite a bit of software support for S3 and Storj does provide an S3 compatible gateway. I haven’t used it myself yet, but maybe have a look at goodsync. It’s available for lots of platforms and has S3 compatibility.

3 Likes

You may also be interested in checking out rclone for syncing and restic for backups.

1 Like

Agreed, those are probably better options if you’re comfortable setting things up over CLI. I had another look at goodsync as I might want to play around with it a bit myself, but the free version is actually quite limited and the paid version is a yearly subscription model, which I’m not a fan of. It’s harder than I thought to find a GUI client that does sync and is cross platform. I’ve used syncback pro in the past (though not for Storj, but I know it has S3 compatibility), but that’s windows only. And still pricey, though at least it’s a one time purchase.

Ultimately S3 is still a developer backend, so the software built for it is usually aimed at developers as well. But if you find something that works for you, please share!

3 Likes

Nextcloud is S3-compatible and can be used with storj s3 gateway. I have not found a better alternative to dropbox than nextcloud yet.

2 Likes