It looks like a SSD is much faster full and vetted than an HDD

So my idea is to fill new nodes with SSD and when SSD is full move it to HDD. And then use the SSD to fill up new node. And then repeat

SSDs have come down enough in $/TB price that moving nodes around could be reasonable. What prices did you use: say $10-$15/TB for HDDs and $50/TB for SSDs? And did you assume something like a 8TB drive? How much faster would filling the SSD have to be to make back that additional $25-$40/TB before the equivalent HDD filled naturally?

Ingress seems to have hovered around 1TB/month during Dec, and even new HDD nodes vetted in about 3 weeks. I don’t know if that was customer or synthetic traffic: but I don’t imagine anyone was complaining :slight_smile: . But it does seem like it would be hard for SSDs to make enough extra $, and faster, to be worth the cost.

If it works @Th3Van should be all over it!

1 Like

Can’t imagine that the speed of the drive will have other inpacts than winning or loosing races.

But the high ingress in december could play a role.

1 Like

We currently have an issue with vetting nodes - they temporary may gain more data than vetted nodes, so impact of SSD likely is negligible.

3 Likes

I was wondering why my new and currently only node gets such high ingress.

I had a node running for some years until the drive died a few years ago and remembered that ingress should rise by quite a bit after vetting is done.
Would have been insane if the current ingress rate would multiply after vetting and I was already thinking about speeding up the replacement of my production drives to spin up more nodes faster.

Good to know storj is not pushing me in a weak moment into buying new hardware earlier than planned :smiley:
Node is running for barely 3 days and is averaging 2.15GB/h ingress during that time btw
Not comparable to what my previous experience was, where it took some months of being vetted to finally achieve 1TB of used storage.

Hello @toyberg90,
Welcome to the forum!

It’s temporary, until it would be vetted. After that the ingress is likely will be lower.

Hello friend. Where can we read more about this?

Also my experience, at this moment you better can have many small than one big node when only taking ingress in account.

When taking costs, power usage and so on into account, the picture changes always in favour of the bigger nodes.

But at this moment, I get for a new node about 1.5TB in a month whilst the other nodes get about 1TB/IP.

Just here on the forum.

I’m quite active on the forum.

I have not seen the thread discussing an issue with the vetting process, causing unvetted nodes to gain additional (unintended?) data.

Could you point me to it? Thanks.

2 Likes

Cheers lad, thanks.

Good reminder to me, to get active in the Github :slight_smile: