Large amounts of trash on europe-west-1

Thanks for the heads up, I appreciate that! We’ll see how much more that cleans up.

2 Likes

that sounds interesting, ill keep an eye on my metrics… sure did create a bit of a workload for a short time, it’s always interesting to see how well it copes.

1 Like

Looks like my node dumped another 60 GB from europe-west at around 01:30 UTC Oct 2 (this morning), bringing the total to 200 GB.

1 Like

Over 500 GiB of trash on that satellite. I always get the answer that I was offline too long - looks like I was offline for a month or something. It happened several times that there was a whole bunch of trash generated in a matter of hours.

2 Likes

got another 20gb trash this morning putting me at 69gb trash, didn’t seem to cause much of a spike, i suspect it was deleted over two rounds maybe…

or atleast i got two spikes in my graphs that seem out of place iowait going to 8-10% very similar spikes and unaccounted for…
but had just finished a scrub last night, so maybe some sort of after effects of that…

1 Like

635GB trash total now, looks like my node got the big clean up part 2 as well.

Noice :laughing:

3 Likes

It was not that you were offline, rather than a very big amount of zombie segments that have been cleaned up.
@littleskunk above explained why. The difference in amount of data is simply explained by the node age.
All of this trash data is from files older than 2019-11-01. Nodes that joined the first minute, got most of the data.

3 Likes

Did that happened several times before too? Like several months ago.

1 Like

how did the workload look while deleting all that?

1 Like

It happened a while back on the stefanbenten satellite as well. And these two recent times last weekend and this weekend.

Took about 2 hours, but it barely impacts my system. The SSD cache helps out a lot with these processes. I see an IO spike on the underlying array, but node performance doesn’t suffer at all.

2 Likes

will usually be some kind of effect with additional load… even if unable to be observed… :smiley:
but yeah i know what you mean…

how does your successrates look on an avg day btw?

1 Like

That’s weird because I started my node in may 2020 and still got an extra 10GB of trash this morning.

1 Like

Must’ve been when they implemented it or something, it was a while ago. We were told you get significant garbage collection if you are offline a lot. So the zombie segment reaper actually deletes through garbage collection, not through deletes. Explains why there were several instances of hundreds of GB of trash out of the blue before.

1 Like

That can still be zombie segments from normal customers.

1 Like

mine is from march and still have a bit… and the satellite ran until very recently … so not really that odd…

@ general topic

in this rainbow happy wonderland we now live in where anything can be anybody and vice versa…
i take offense of all this trash talk…

2 Likes

well this is new… can’t remember having seen 0 trash since when i started my node…
and wasn’t trash suppose to stay longer than 2 days… because my last added trash was the 20gb only 2 days ago…
or is something just displaying it wrong… or did the storj team purposely delete it… (i suppose the latter would make sense)

1 Like

still got 108GB in trash. but it was 220GB a few hours ago.

2 Likes