Large temporary folder

Hey my temporary folder is really bloated by the looks of it.
Here it is.

Is this at some point maybe going to be removed automatically or should I seek approval from mods as to which files I can remove by myself? :slight_smile:

1 Like

That’s a good question… Mine isn’t that big but I have some pieces in there from December 2019 too, just like you…

1 Like

@Elektros I have the same only oy node is on Mac OS and the folder icons show Screen Shot 2020-08-21 at 14.10.49 also I was under the understanding that the file size are 2.3 MB.

If the files in temp are not opened by the storagenode (you could check with lsof on Mac or Linux) then they can be deleted. Files whose mtime is older than the start time of your storagenode process are probably automatically safe to delete.

So, wouldn’t it be simpler to just stop the node and then delete everything in that folder?

1 Like

If you do that, you’d interrupt any ongoing piece transfers and lose credit for them. But if you don’t care about that, you could just delete everything in the temp dir without stopping the storagenode. Same effect. (Except of course on Windows, where I don’t think it would let you delete the open temp files without stopping the node.)

4 Likes

Shouldn’t deleting temp files be part of node startup ? More precisely it could be part of garbage collection.

4 Likes

Yeah, actually, I think deleting all temp files on start is a good idea. I’ll make a ticket to investigate that.

9 Likes

If you get an answer post it here if you can :slight_smile:

1 Like