Low traffic for few hours, stefan-benten satellite data delete

Hi,
throughout January, the most traffic on my two nodes was generated by stefan-benten.de satellite.
I know there were tests there. Now traffic has fallen to a minimum. Does this mean that the tests are over? Will the data stored by stefan-benten.de on nodes that were used for network testing will be deleted after testing?

Just for clarify - on photo: TX (node download), RX (node upload)
photo_2020-01-31_15-45-59

1 Like

I see the same thing. Only @stefanbenten can provide the truth on this, but my guess is that the egress party’s over for now :smiley:.

Sure, but unused test data should be deleted from the network to make space for ‘real data’.

1 Like

Hello i have no traffic also
I would like to stop my node because at this time i will loose my money…

I run a cluster of tower PC for one node and this consume very very very important capacity of electric energy.

only 300-400GB a month once my node was vetted…

@Storj what can you answer to this problem and to the fact i am not profitable ?

However my node is full performance ready… SATA 3GB with a 300Mb fiber uplink… MTBF will ruin my profit…

1 Like

Why are you running storagenode on power hungry PC? Storagenode don’t need huge CPU speed or other resources. My node works really well on Raspberry Pi 3B.

3 Likes

Very little traffic here also but, As a hobbyist home node operator, I’m hoping that testing is over. My residential ISP does not impose data caps but I’m guessing they don’t appreciate a month long stress test either. I feel like I’m rolling the dice a bit running storj. If they send a nasty letter I might have to kill my node or do a very slow graceful exit. I’m over 1TB for the month ( 0.9 TB from storj , the rest from other stuff). I’m looking forward to seeing what normal customer usage looks like.

It doesn’t help to tag him frequently. He will have to ignore all messages in the forum because it is getting too much. Please tag him only if there is an issue with the satellite which is not the case.

4 Likes

We are holding off on downloads since it is the end of the month and will be switching to another satellite for stress testing

Understood, thanks. Just wanted to relay that no other SNOs could directly answer the OP’s question. I do not require an explanation from stefanbenten. Thanks.

Does this mean you are switching to a new dedicated testing satellite or moving testing to one of the existing US/Asia/Europe satellites?

To clarify, you should not be expecting any guaranteed load from Storj Labs. Once we start bringing on customers, load will be dependent on their usage patterns

5 Likes

IF STORJ is switching from one satellite to another satellite, what happens to the data, contracts, escrow on the Stephan Benton satellite? Will that suddenly come to an end? Get deleted? or just slowly fade away.

Is there a plan to migrate all data and contracts to a new satellite or can clients be migrated to a new satellite in the future for any satellite issues?

Also, when data is deleted by the satellite, does it go into the trash first or its completely deleted? I was wondering if the trash folder only contained garbage collection or also deleted files by the satellite?

I noticed a lot of testing with Stephan Benton satellite but only saw data getting deleted by the satellite start in the last few weeks. I figured garbage collection did a lot of cleanup.

They are not deleting the satellite or anything, they are just going to be using another satellite for stress testing. There are 4 Tardigrade satellites, they probably just want to use one that customers are using in order to perform testing. The contracts remain in place until the data is deleted from the satellite. The escrow is held at the satellite or by Storj labs and will be paid out at the expected intervals, not sure why anything would change there.

The data moves into the trash folder for 7 days after the satellite deems it deleted, then after that period is up, if the satellite has not requested it be reinstated, the data is deleted from the trash folder.

1 Like

Ok, Is there a log entry for data that has been reinstated from trash? I haven’t seen that yet.

And so both garbage cleanup and deleted files end up in the trash folder.

Deleted files are deleted. The trash folder is only used by garbage collection, which means it’s only used for data that is deleted while your node is offline.

3 Likes

Are you sure? I think you are wrong here.

I have some data in my “trash” folders while my node has 100% uptime since it setup and I do not see any garbage collection messages in node logs, only normal satellites delete requests.
Also there is a separate subfolder with name “garbage” in main data folder and it currently empty. While “trash” folder contains few hundred files.

2 Likes

@Derkades is correct, the trash folder is only for garbage collection. There have previously been issues that generated garbage even if your node is online. They have since been fixed, but the nature of how garbage collection works causes not all garbage to be deleted the first time. Garbage collection uses bloom filters which are a kind of data efficient way of marking which pieces are garbage. It’s highly compressed and therefor loses some accuracy, but is optimized to NEVER include false positives. The downside is that not all garbage pieces will match the bloom filter and so not all of them are cleaned up right away. The next time garbage collection runs it runs with a different seed. Which means it will match a different set of garbage pieces. So eventually everything gets cleaned up. In my experience the bloom filter catches about 90% of garbage. So you should see the amount in the trash folder shrink over time.

4 Likes

My garbage collection “trash” cleaned up over 500GB in the first 2-3 weeks. Now it’s running 10-13GB a week of trash on average out of 1-1.3TB of data.

If garbage collection cleaned up over 500gigs that means your node was offline for a long time.

Not necessarily. I had over 600gb the first time garbage collection was triggered and my node has never been offline for more than a minute or so. As I mentioned before this was because earlier bugs had generated some garbage data.

2 Likes